Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a fun 20 minute session with the fly rod at a semi-local pond. Had gills chasing my fly all over the damn place, but no landed fish. It was a fun outing, just too short.

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/5-colorado-fly-fishing/98402-good-day-bad-day.html

TOMORROW, I will have 3 completely free hours of solo time. I thought about catching up on some sleep, but it's so rare to have free time to myself. So, I have a dilemma on my hands, and I wonder what some of you fine fishermen have to say.

Should I:

A) Go back and settle the score with those gills (fly rod)

B) Hit up another spot for some (almost) "sure-thing" catfishing

Both locations are equidistant from the place I need to be at 2:00 PM (fairly close) so distance isn't a factor. I have time to do ONE, but not BOTH... It's either flies and little fish or chunks of meat and big(ger) fish. Part of me says "go finish what you started and get one of those f***ing bluegill" And part of me says "Go after the cats... they're turning on and they'll give you a better fight!"

I just need to decide whether to rig up my big cat rig or throw my fly reel on another rod and tie up some new tippet.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm getting ready to head out... Looks like gills on the fly wins out.

You guys think they'll hit dries? I have a wicked little grasshopper hopper I've been wanting to try out.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
"sure-thing" cats? Correct me if im wrong but weren't you an buck only able to manage a couple small cats last year? Again I could be wrong! But if I were you id go after the gills!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We landed a total of 11 cats. 9 of which came from this one spot, in 3 trips... Late fall, weather getting cold. Friend of mine went out 2 days ago to that spot and caught 4 in 2 hours... 1 over 24".

So... Like I said earlier, ALMOST sure thing . ;)

And yes, they were all small/under 18 inches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts