Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im at that pointand have been for a while excpet now i would really like to pursue it...yea thats right my career what am i gonin todo for the rest of my life its so hard to pick what i want to do due to so many factors....so my question for you guys out there is how do i go about it what things do i consider that are my important than others....???ive been reall stressed out lately with my job its time to atleast ge a different job ive recently had a position change went from pill press operator to now the dreaded bottling line with no where to move forward they basically threw me to the dogs.......i started outh with this company as a maintence mechanic which i enjoyed now....i hate my job and the thought of wakin up and goin to wrok everyo morning day in and day out is making me more and more depressed and confused.....but id like to start makin some real money and if i can do that right now id atleast liek to get on the ball but dam......i need help once again im so stressed out out and this is just makin my life more miserable i wish i had someone to help me out or guide me in the right direction but...i dont anyone have any advice for me id really appreciate it

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Well, you ask a very difficult question and one that really depends on a number of factors almost all of which are related to what works for you. There are many folks who live their lives doing a job they hate simply because their lifestyle has come to require it. Then there are others who are happy doing what they are doing and live modestly without many wants. Of course, there are many people in between these two extremes. The truly lucky ones are those that enjoy what they are doing and they also happen to make a reasonable living at it.

My opinion is that it boils down to hard work, which includes working at a cruddy job for a while until things open up and then seizing the opportunity when it presents itself. So much is related to timing. From my experience, nothing comes easily unless you are just very lucky. Most of the time it takes patience and a desire to do the best job no matter what your responsibilities are. In the end, it is my opinion that a person will be rewarded with a true career -- room for growth and a bright future ahead.

It pays to ask yourself: What am I passionate about?

Best of luck in your journey.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
pitbull,

work2fish has some wise words for you. Read them more than once, until you understand every part of what he said.

You enjoyed your job as a maintenance mechanic, until you moved out of it. You might want to shift back into that direction if you think the pay would be OK for your current lifestyle. But it doesn't have to be an exact match with the old job. Check the ads for any jobs that might be able to use your mechanical skills. You are always happiest doing the things you are best at.

You don't have to wear out your eyes reading the want ads every day. Many newspapers, including the Denver ones, now have on-line web sites where you can do a search in the ads for keywords that you fill in, and they will pop up any ads that match. Beats the heck out of reading all the fine print.

W. E.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pitbull, another suggestion from an older survivor - change is guaranteed. In the process of doing your best, you will find what you are best at. At age 57 I have tried many "careers" and moved on. Right now I work longer hours than ever for less money but am content thinking that my work has value to others.

Of course, it helps if your wife or partner has a steady paycheck and benefits.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Its true having a job a person enjoys even if you are paid less is better. What are you good at and what do you enjoy? Can you get paid for it? Is the trade off of lower pay but having an enjoyable job balanced?

I am lucky I found that kind of job.

Dan

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
It helps to have a degree of some kind.I worked construction till I was 35.In my late 20's I decided I couldnt do this the rest of my life,so I went to college at Metro state(denver). Took me 6 years for a 4 year degree but I,m doin pretty well now. What I'm tryin to say is: Just do something! You never know where it might lead,but it can't be any worse than where you are now! As you ponder your choices, just think " what's the worst that can happen?" Good luck,man.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
One piece of advice-consider working for yourself, whatever that might be. I worked for a big company, then two smaller ones for a total of 14 years. Then I started working for myself 22 years ago (construction). Everybody is different but I like working for myself much more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Pit Bull I know exactly what you are going through. I have asked myself the same questions but I think these guys are right you just need to pick something and go after it. Do not be afraid to take a chance. Most of the successful people I have met in my life are risk takers. That is what is so great about this country is we can choose our direction.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote from Ted turner, once you find your niche.
" Early to Bed, Early to rise, Work like he** and advertise "
Don't much care for his politics but these words are wise.
Especially if you go into business for yourself.
Good luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
This is awesome. For those of us still in high school and having to choose college stuff, this info helps.
Pitbull- in a career choices class we had to take they told us first list out your passions. then try to estimate the expense of a lifestyle you want (make this reasonable) and add in $5000 a year for each kid. Then try to find a field that works around your passion and makes atleast 10% more than your exspenses.
i am leaning towards Landscape Architect-specializing in native habitats. Then i can use knowledge for fishing and hunting in my job. Then when i get in trouble for going fishing a lot i can say taht the more fishing and hunting i do, the more knowledge i gain which i can apply to my work. See im thinking ahead.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm not too happy with my current employment but it makes me money. I will be a lot more happy when I get everything together to start my tattoo shop. I have enough to start one now but I want to open a really nice shop so I'll wait till I have everything. We will be doing piercings also. So far we have about a 1,000 pieces of jewelry stocked up. Then on the side I have a home studio that I will eventually put to work recording demo's for local bands.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awesome scorpion sound good!! kinda funny to see how many ppl have looked at this thread and how many have replied....im not sure what im gonna do however i have narrowed it down to a few now its just a matter of what is logical and can actually be acheived i would really like to go into business myself but i dont know if that would be a option right now or at the least where i could even begin my voyage....i have my mind set on workin for myself an man told me once that you would never make any real money workin for someone else....and its the truth to an extent but i wouldnt mind bein my own boss and setting my own goals with MY company and acheiving them my way i hate when im at work and the "boss" is out golfin and im sittin there basically doin the work and payin for his little golfin trip........nahh not for me....

·
Registered
578 Posts
pitbull said:
awesome scorpion sound good!! kinda funny to see how many ppl have looked at this thread and how many have replied....im not sure what im gonna do however i have narrowed it down to a few now its just a matter of what is logical and can actually be acheived i would really like to go into business myself but i dont know if that would be a option right now or at the least where i could even begin my voyage....i have my mind set on workin for myself an man told me once that you would never make any real money workin for someone else....and its the truth to an extent but i wouldnt mind bein my own boss and setting my own goals with MY company and acheiving them my way i hate when im at work and the "boss" is out golfin and im sittin there basically doin the work and payin for his little golfin trip........nahh not for me....
I agree with all that! I'm tired of making other people rich! Especially when they are out golfing!! My last boss was always doing that. I may not get very rich with my business but I will make a lot more than what I am now working for other people. My wife and I are very close to starting our shop. We got our business and tax liscenses and we got our name registered, Mystical Dragon Body Art, now we just need to finish getting our things together, I don't wanna go into this half-a$$ed. I want a nice shop.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i went the votec trade route i learned wleding, machining, driving, mechanical repair stuff like that now i can get a decent job anyware i want to live ive never made the big bucks but i also dont have to "hold down" a job just work when i need or want some money and play the rest of the time i put every extra penny into land and homes instead of 401K's people used to rib me bout that then that Enron thing went down and a few looked at me and said good move!

there are 2 ways to be rich in this life

1 work hard and make a buch of money and spend it

2 play like crazy and and only work enough to get by!

i got buddies that make boot loads of money but never seem to get out and enjoy it, sure they might have a bunch more money when they retire but when your 65 most folks just aint going to be up to tromping up and down the mountains like we are now

bust your hump for years and years and then you end up enjoying your retirement reading about all the young dudes/dudettes adventure on some website from your rocking chair, that just aint for me

·
Registered
238 Posts
Currently working at Celestica in Fort collins...closing in a couple months...Thinking about going into a trade...Hvac..electrician. I feel your pain. 27 and still no clue as to what I want to do when I grow up!!! Good lUck! You are difinitely not alone on this one....

Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
There's a lot of good advice here...my 2 cents...

I got great grades in high school and was sort of railroaded into 4 years of college even though i had no idea of what i wanted to do. I bopped around 4 years of college and graduated with an art degree somehow...still got good grades even though i didn't try or care.

After college I delivered pizzas and played in bands for about 5 years and although it was fun...I couldn't see myself doing it at 50 and I wasn't going to be able to retire, buy a house, etc etc.

What it took for me was a move...I needed to get away from the place I had lived my whole life. This is when I came to colorado.

Once here I decided to go to school to actually get trained for something...I got an Automotive degree and put everything into it and ended up with great paying jobs but after about 8 years in the field I was burnt out and sick of life. I did manage to buy a house though!

Earlier this summer I was unemployed and considered every option. I was finally able to land a job teaching (something I've always wanted to do) and teaching automotive no less...It's strange how things work out. I am very happy at this point...you never know how things will work out.

My point is ....never say never...consider all options and by all means be true to yourself. Like others said...You will either have time or money, usually not both. I will chose time every time. Get a real world skill that you can use anywhere on the planet...not something pushing paper or an expendible management position. Don't be afraid to try new things and take risks. It's ok if you dont know what you want to be...be patient and it will come to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts