Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use them? Picked up three yesterday. I have caught fish on jigging Raps before (smallPike and trout). I am going to fish Chatfield and Aurora more this year as long as the ice cooperates? All the time I spend walleye fishing and I have never caught one thru the ice.

D

·
0 Posts
I have used them some the last couple of years. Have yet to get bit, but I'm a slow learner so I'll probably keep on trying. They sure look good in the water.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Like Don said,they sure look good-if I were a fish I'd hit 'em! In all my years icin I just have not done well with these type of lures. I have seen guys right next to me do some whuppin on the perch with chubbys. I have caught all my ice wallys on kastys or pimples. Although I have caught some nice trout on rattle traps through the ice.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Tell me more, what do they look like and where do you get them? I am getting the impression you work them like a jigging rap?

Dan

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are simular to the Rap,but much bulkier! They are supposed shoot upward and to the side, like a real minnow would if frightened.

I am going to hit Glendo thru the ice next year! Have always wanted to ice fish there, but have never gone there in the winter.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Hey NEAL- PM me when you do Glendo,We can go up together or meet up there..Its a cool place.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be fun to get a group of us to go up there! Fishing sucked last summer, but the shad would be thinned down alot I would imagine? There are some real nice crappie in there also!

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
And Glendo's close enough to be either a 1-dayer or a stay-over. Only prob for some people will be the License fee-$10/day or $86.50/year. I always buy a yearly one anyway.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be alot of fun! Lets start talking bout it come January.

Even in warm years Whisky Gulch freeze's over! Glendo usually isn't safe till after the New Years?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am a go for going to Glendo if I am around and Slayer I am getting some deatils together for Boysen if you are still interested Ill give you a call in a week or so.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i'm in for glendo sounds like a blast

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
DanDANthefisherman said:
Count me in, that is if Slayer isn't still mad at me!
Naw,I never was really mad-just did a little venting. Lifes too short to sweat the little stuff!

·
Registered
633 Posts
The first year the Chubby Darter came out (3 years ago?) I caught a walleye on one at Chatfield. I had been jigging it and hooked a trout on my 2nd line so I set the Chubby down and landed the fish and when I got back to the Darter a walleye about 16 inches jumped on it. I've caught a few trout on it since but haven't used it that much. I will this year and I'll let it sit for long pauses!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Count me and Johnny O in too, I imagine. We are right on the way!

FYI to Slayer, etc.: I was in WY yesterday. It was $11.00 for a day permit. Dang cold up there!

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Hopefully we can hit a decent weather weekend in January,sounds like a hoot!It'll be prolly be a spur of the moment type thing due to the changeable weather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chubby Darters have worked grate 4 me.   I've caught Limits of Walleyes out of Devils lake & Jamestown Res in North Dakota.   I've watched walleyes swim past 7 other
lures to hit a darter that is being jiged.-4 rods alowed in ND -

In Colorado  I've caught walleye @ Chatfeald, Bolder,
and Lone tree on darters..     The best one is the small oringe & silver ..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts