Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to keep moving and casting. Probably comes from growing up as a bass fisherman, then going thru my flyfishing stage (10 years). This summer I have watched everyone catching big fish on slip bobbers! So I have been experimenting. I have been throwing a slip bobber out with a leech and then casting. I am of course missing alot of strikes :mad:

Here's my question. If I use a circle hook and loosen the drag enough so the fish can run with my bait, shouldn't I be able to just pick up the rod, then tighten down and the fish will hook itself on the circle hook? I just don't have the patience to sit and wait ???

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I dont know that i'd loosen the drag. I would just keep the bail open or as soon as you see a strike open the bail and let some line out.

I use nothing But circle hooks when Im slip float fishing. Just make sure there is slack in your line and let the fish swim away with it. When most of the slack is gone just start reeling in. It takes some practice. Im pretty new to this myself but am getting the hang of it. I'd rather misss a few here and there than deep hooking a fish and having it die.

IMO

-Jay

·
Registered
636 Posts
Soft or stiff that's funny but then again I am immature. I use a medium or medium heavy rod and never leave the bail open, just a little slack and they nail the bait and hook themselves eveytime.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips!

What size do you guys use? I just bought some in #1, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 . I use the big ones in NC each summer. My family owns a lake on Smith Mountain Res. and I go there for about 8 days each summer. We cast net Alewifes and shad around their lighted dock, and then use them for bait the next morning. We hang our lines right over the side of the boat and we do not pick up the rod till the tip hits the water. The stripers run from 4-8 lbs usually. there are bigger ones in there of course, but no one in my family has hooked up yet. That is really my only experience using circle hooks! I leave in nine days ;D

·
Registered
680 Posts
HEY GOTMUSKY, I think i'll try that.
It just dawned on me, the bigger the fish the harder hes gonna set the hook
I think I over set it sometimes; lure ends up 50 ft up shore ;D
I use rope catfishing that doesnt even stretch one bit(probably doesnt take that much to yank it out his mouth)
Im trying to get more of a slow but powerful set, instead of a yank; SO HARD after years to change that though lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
I only use circle hooks.
Bobber fishing:
The best luck I have is to leave the line slack, keep my rod tip down, close to the water and wait. You don't set the hook, but instead raise your rod tip up (softly) once you see the bobber move and straighten your line. It can be difficult not setting the hook. That is the hard part. It is hardwired in our brains to pull and pull hard. Once you get the timing and soft fluvial movement of raising your rod tip up, you will rarely lose a fish.

Always make sure you bait the hook good. Biggest mistake people make is to cover the barb or put the bait to in between the eyelet and the barb. If the hook can not slide down the fishes throat and have the barbed section very exposed, the hook will just pop out. The bait can not get in the way of the eyelet or the circled barb. What I mean: if you hold the hook on the shank side, put the eyelet and the barb on a flat surface, nothing can get in the way of that line. I hope that came out right. Hope that helps

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Let me correct something. I dont set the hook with a fast jerking motion backwards but I will start to reel and sweep my pole lightly to the side. Im not sure if this is considered setting the hook or not. I do know you dont want to set it like you would with a normal stlye J hook.

IMO

-Jay

·
Registered
636 Posts
Using circle hooks I haven't had the chance to pick up my rod and try to set the hook. Every fish that's hit my pole with a circle hook has just clobbered it and would have stole my pole every time if it wasn't secured in a rod holder. That includes wiper, catfish, and trout. No stockers though. I haven't missed a fish yet when fishing with circle hooks this year.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the hooks i like are the eagle claw lazer sharp circle sea

they have a finish on them and they last a long time
i have some in my box that are about 4 years old
and they are still nice and sharp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts