Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this weekend i saw alot of people fishing with j hooks well they work if you have constant contact with your pole

but if you are going to fish way out there say 30 plus yard and try to set your pole down so you can talk or read why not just try to use a circle hook

im not saying the way your doing it is wrong but im saying why not try something new that will help you catch more fish

i was sitting there watching this old man and woman and man with big poles 10' trying to set the hooks with about 50 yard of string out and they were catching about half of their bites

but i went to go talk to him and he said he didnt like circle hooks because they were to hard to use and i backed off and said ok

but it was just to funny when i would watch over and over them missing fish when all i was doing was waiting for a fish to pull real hard and know that the hook did its job and all i had to do was pick up my pole and start reeling in the fish
had alot of people come over and talk to me about my tackle and i showed them what kinda hooks and weights i was useing

so just wanted to tell people try something new it might work and help you land a few more fish im not out to change the world at one time i didnt think these hooks could work but now i have a box of them

·
Registered
440 Posts
FishingKats :D

As I understand it, if you use Kahle hooks, they are the ones you do have to SET; but Circle hooks just set themselves like you said. Maybe those folks should have chatted with you some more. It's probably common among fishermen, that likely as not, many have a slight resistance to learning. Besides, finding someone that is a good and convincing teacher isn't always that easy.

Are the "J" hooks, in your experience, pretty much like Kahle's? You have to set them yourself?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Fishing Kats...

Any particular ones you like for circle hooks or doesnt it matter?...I am going to try them for cats and the rare occasion I use powerbait for trout to see if they spare gut hooks...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wouldn't circle hooks be bad for fish that you wanted to release? My bf is starting to use them on catfish but he wants to eat all of those (he's addicted to catfish). Or are they large enought that only large fish that you'd most likely keep would be able to go for them? Also if you did catch one on it and you wanted to release it wouldn't it be really hard to unhook them or would you just have to cut the line if you wanted to release them?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer them!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Kadiya...they are supposed to slide and not catch on the internal mouth but in the corner of the fishes mouth...

How they work
Circle hooks look like they shouldn't work, but they do. Here's how. A fish picks up the bait and attempts to swallow it, swimming away as it does so. As the fish turns, the hook pulls from the fish?s gullet (this is when you will see your fishing rod bend double) and as the hook starts to leave the mouth of the fish it will turn and lodge in the lip. A good way to prove this to yourself is to tie a leader to a circle hook, loosely grasp the leader in the palm of your hand simulating the hook in a belly of a fish. Pull the leader slowly down over your finger, the hook will pull through your hand without hooking you but as the hook comes out and makes the corner it will dig in and hook. TRY IT!!!

The fish is invariably hooked either in the corner of the mouth or in the bottom lip. This gives you two advantages;
1.) The fish is normally solidly hooked. Of the several hundred cats I've taken on Circle hooks I can count on both hands the number of fish that have "auto-released" themselves at boat side.
2.) Removing the hook is reasonably quick and easy. Making Catch & Release fishing less stressful on the fish and as gut hooks are very uncommon, you seldom deep hook and injure a fish.

E

·
0 Posts
QUwestions are good, and that's how you will become good at this sport.

Circle hooks are the BEST for relasing,  as they almost ALWAYS hook the fish in the corner of the mouth. In Saltwater tournaments, we get an extra 5 points for circles...it can mean a win..the reason they do that is to ensure that mroe fish are released unharmed.

I know some will argue this theory, and I will not defend it..I am simply stating facts regarding the tournament scene.

Good luck! Keep your line tight and your rod bent!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i dont remember what brand of hook i use all i remember is that i ordered them from cabellas
cheaper when you order them 50 at a time
i use to buy the salt water ones they are a little more
expensive but well worth it because i have been using
the same hooks for over a year now and they are still as sharp as when i bought them they are not as shiny but still real sharp

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've had a hard time finding some circle hooks but I found some at General Tackle and cant wait to give them a try. What types of baits have you guys been using with them? Any thing that seems to help rigging them? Drop shots?

E

·
0 Posts
You can use circles almost any way you use another hook...ESPECIALLY with live bait.

;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow thanks for all the info guys. I just bought some today to use for trout fishing... too bad I got skunked again! =P'''

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
They really work poorly drifting the bait on the colorado river. They do work good in lakes though, probably better than the normal.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i am a big fan of circle hooks....especially for catfish. they hook the corner of the mouth most of the time, and are usually very good quality. you will spend more for them on average, but they are worth it. ive tied pike and tarpon patterns on them, but sometimes had trouble missing fish that "short strike"...they really have to take it in thier mouth for the hook to rotate properly and set into the corner like they are designed to. another drawback is i also tend to like bronze hooks for bait fishing (they dissolve faster when you break a fish off and the hook is left in the mouth i hear)--- but i honestly dont know if that is a fact of not. all the circle hooks ive seen have been made out of steel. i still use them for catfish though, they are an excellent asset that will increase you hook up ratio...especially on those late night outings for channel cats where you fall asleep and wake up with a fish dragging your rod away...

T

·
0 Posts
any picture of a circle hook? i think i know what you mean but not sure. i know i have never used any, unless maybe for flounder in salt water.
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Nawanda said:
ePic,

where's General Tackle?  It's a new one to me.
Sorry its General Fishing Tackle, 3201 N. El Paso, Colorado Springs, Co 80907
Phone (719)634-6831 Its right off Fillmore.

Here is a picture of a circle hook:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts