Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my new lake last night started fishing for bluegill with the wife with little circle hooks baited with half a night crawler . Started hammering the bluegill and as a nice surprise she caught 3 bass the biggest around 4lbs , and I ended up with one that was pushing 6 . With these circle hooks are you supposed to set the hook or just start reeling in . I ended up keeping the bass my dog vaughn got to him and tore him up ....any suggestions on how to cook him ..

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
My understanding is that you are just supposed to sit there and let them hook themselves when they run away with the bait. You can sit down and read a book and forget about it. I use them when my little girls and I go fishing-they don't really have to do anything, which is a good thing cause they don't get the concept of setting the hook. By the way, where is your bluegill pond? My daughters love them.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Its not that you dont set the hook its just you dont have to yank back to set the hook. Once your sure the fish has your bait just start reeling in or sweep your rod to one side. silicone boys answers is not correct making me think he's never used them. It does take some time to not set the hook but once you use them for awhile its no big deal. If you C&R alot like I do you'll really like using them, No deep hooking. This is why in deep sea bill fish tournaments you get extra points for using them....its better on the fish.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea all the fish i caught were hooked right in the corner of their mouth . The big one I caught is really nice to bad my dog tried to eat him as soon as i got him on shore . silicone this has also turned into my big bass lake two trips both trips fish well over 5lbs . As soon as more people find out about it ill give it up , but until then im pretty tight lipped . only a few people know about it and one of them is a total bonehead get to one of my spots and bam trash everywhere a lighter some candy bar wrappers but also a really nice pair of pliers for once cleaning up after someone has paid off ..

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
some states allready have circle hook regs the problem is what "is" a circle hook some manufactures and or models of "circle hooks" use the term for hooks that only slightly turn in or have a major offset while some you could put in your pocket and not have to worry about it snagging.

trying to get hook manufactures to standardize what a circle hook "is" will be difficult

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
most of the circle hooks that i use are for salt water fishing

i like them more then i like the others

it helps to compare some of the circle hooks to some of the other circle hooks brands and styles

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
fishingkats said:
just think the day will come when the sign will say fly/lure/circle hook only water                   
I think people who fish the bottom with bait should use them. Its alot better for the fish. I would support this. In Canada you have to pinch the barb down. Im guessing for the same reasson.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Its not that you dont set the hook its just you dont have to yank back to set the hook. Once your sure the fish has your bait just start reeling in or sweep your rod to one side. silicone boys answers is not correct making me think he's never used them.

I have used them before, but this explains why I haven't caught anything with them :D. I read on another thread that you could just cast and forget. My bad. By the way, are those salmon egg hooks circle hooks? They kind of look like it, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ok, All you have to do is when your sure the fish has it is to just reel or slowly sweep the rod.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts