Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went catfishin this weekend used circle hooks for the first time with chicken liver ...wow my hook up rate increased dramatically and the quick release was awesome . It takes a while to get used to but if you havent used circle hooks to catch catfish yet your missing out . We were at big thompson ponds and between the two of us we landed 25 or so nothing real big biggest was probably 21 inches . A bunch of fun good bye to my trebles !!!!!!!!im betting my hookup rate is up 50% With trebles i would lose so many cats trying to set the hook . as soon as those wiskerfish feel tension they put your bait down ....with the circle hooks all you have to do is give them a second and start reeling in . Most of the fish were hooked right in the corner of there mouth ....great day and a great dinner ......

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just hook it through in the thicker parts and be carefull when you cast....i dont use any wieght ....they are good for a couple casts if you are carefull...

·
Banned
487 Posts
Circle hooks are so good for C and R that even still fishermen generally hook them in the lip or mouth. I think that in flies and lures only lakes that circle hook bait fishing should be allowed.
Of course people would say "you cannot enforce that." To them I say, "other states enforce barbless hook regs, so I think circle hook regs could be enforced."
I usually use #1 gamakatsu baitholder hooks for cats and have a great hookup rate, but I will give circles a try for cats.
What size and brand are you using of circles?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use a 3/0 circle hook for my catfishing with shad guts. I love Gamagatsu, but whatever quality hook you can get your hands on is just fine. As soon as that fish picks it up, just suck up the line and sweep the rod to the side to bury the hook instead of jerking. Jerking will just either pull it out of their mouth or bury it in their gut. Easy to get out of the corner of the mouth like others mentioned. This was my first year using them this spring and I got two other companions to switch too. Love'em!
Craig

·
Registered
405 Posts
I haven't had a chance to really give circle hooks a try, but the next time I purchase hooks I'll pickup a few to give them a try; can't hurt.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think ill have to break down and order some seams nobody down here carrys any circle hooks. bummer

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Jay in Parker has convinced me to try circle hooks. I bought a few sizes before the get together and now all I need is for the fish to start biting better to see how they do!

Dan

·
Banned
487 Posts
What are your overall opinions on the hookup percentage on circles versus regular hooks? Can you actively fish circle hooks or do they only work best for still fishing?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i been wanting to try drifting worms in the river so i hope they will work i think ill have to refrain from "setting the hook" and kinda just load the rod and reel firmly just a thought havent had the chance yet still need to order some circle hooks

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive used circle hooks in the big t drifting a night crawler and did great .....but i also practiced on bluegill for a few hours first.....its really hard not setting the hook ....I bass fish more then anything and its really hard not to jimmy houston the fish...but the hook up rate is pretty crazy ...the difference with catfish is huge if your having trouble catching cats i would use circle hooks you would be surpized what a difference they make

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i know what you mean about learning not to "set the hook" i had an outing up in the mountains throwing spinners and this one time if you set the hook youd miss every one it was tough to just keep realing when you felt them hit but then you would hook dang near every one man it just feels wrong but it works must be similar with the circle hooks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fishinguitars, you hit it on the nose! I switched to circle hooks ten years ago when an Eagle Claws salesman gave me some samples sized 5/0. I fished one pole with circles and the other traditional. I caught 20 cats on the circles and 3 on the traditional with an equal amount of hits. I highly suggest anyone who wants to increase their catch rate to switch to circle hooks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts