Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took some info from everyone here and tried them this weekend and they worked great. my buddy caught a cat on one and he was impressed as he used to catch a bunch of cats in texas and he said you used to always let them take the bait and with the circle hook he was able to set the hook immediately and it was just in the edge of the fishes mouth so we could let him go.(his belly was real yellow which my buddy said that means he had a lot of fat and the fat doesn't tase good???)

F

·
0 Posts
with the circle hook design your really not supposed to set the hook (whatever works though of course!!!) when im using circle hooks with chicken liver ill let the fish run for a second bring my rod to the side and just start reeling in ....they design is supposed to set the hook for you.....

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i meant when he set it, he did it to the side and it worked. the only reason i knew to go to the side was from what i read here.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I used dircle hooks for the first time last week. Caught 2 channel cats lost without hooking at least as many. gut hooked one that I did catch.

Like any new product they take practice. I was wondering has any one tried to let out a bunch of slack then flip your bail closed? That way after they swallow it and start swimming away they hook themselves and will with make the rod dance or ring a bell.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think catman said something like set the rod in a holder and reel in all slack then strip off a few good pulls to give em some slack might work out kinda like that

you out there catman how did that go?

F

·
0 Posts
I just let them run for a couple seconds then tip my rod to the side and start reeling in ......my hookup rate is way up from when I used to use treble's to catfish.....

C

·
0 Posts
It went well. I give them the extra slack because sometimes even just the clicker on is too much tension. When a cat takes my bait I wind down till I feel the fish, give a slight tug, and the fight is on.

C

·
0 Posts
Circle hooks. The reason I tug back slightly is I have noticed that I am setting the hook into the bony part of the catsfishes mouth more than in the corner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts