Discussion Starter #1
well i would like to start my story off with
i made the biggest birds nest known to man
my first cast didnt go that far but made one really good mess

ok first off why didnt anyone tell me hey dont fill that spool all the way

because i came home and i dont have that much string on it now ;D
after a few nest 3 but i did cast it out far real far i was impressed
with my skills ;D

but i want some tips how fast do you want the lure to drop when you push the button is it better fast or slow need help so do give tips
i can use them all thanks for any help

M

·
0 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular brand of reel but here's some high level tips.

If it has a magnetic spool controlling it's speed, turn it up all the way until you get used to it.

If it doesn't have the magnetic control, adjust the tension on the bearings (usually a knob on the left or right and center).

Slow the speed of the spool with your thumb as you are casting.

Your spool shouldn't be turning after your lure/bait/etc. hit the water (lure hits the water, apply thumb on spool so it stops - then adjust for it as it sinks in the water).

Have fun!

·
Registered
578 Posts
fishingkats said:
ok first off why didnt anyone tell me     hey dont fill that spool all the way        

but i want some tips how fast do you want the lure to drop when you push the button         is it better fast or slow            need help so do give tips
i can use them all                              thanks for any help
Hey, don't fill that spool all the way! J/K ;D

I don't know how other people like to set theirs up but I like to set mine so that when I push the button my lure doesn't drop unless I bounce it lightly, and then I like it to drop very slowly. You also don't want the spool to keep spinning when the lure hits the water. Don't try using light lures either, they will cause you all kinds of birds nests! About the lightest thing I will use on my baitcaster is a 4" Senko texas rigged without any weight. I usually use 5" Senkos tho.

L

·
0 Posts
It's cheating but,,, put a heavy weight on your reel and cast it out as far as possible, put a small 1" piece of electrical tape on the spool and then reel up the line. Now when you cast, while learning, you can only backlash to the spot where the tape is.

I've heard of people puting their thumb on the spool and then reeling to release some of the knots after backlashing, I just simply pull out the loops. If you use heavy 20lb test mono, backlashes won't be as bad as braided line. Learn in baby steps, heavy mono, with the tape, crank down the spool tension, short casts with a heavy lure. You will get better and better until you can handle smaller lures with braided line (if you want) and cast it much farther with only the occasional backlash.

Get to the point where you can cast a "Dick Nite" 100 yards with 10 lb braid and no backlash and you'll be half way to being a mediocre caster!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts