Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am trying to find a good small fish pond to take my son to. We tried Washington park on Sunday and had no luck, might need to go further out/deeper due to heat. I work at the 70 and colorado and noticed that city park and Vanderbilt park are close. I haven't found anything using search that was recent. I'm not asking for anyone to give up their honey hole just want to know if these places have decent amounts of fish. Or any tips for wash park. Size is of no concern as all will be for my son and catch and release. Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know if these lakes are stocked or have fish in them recently. I will go and put in the time to figure out where and what they eat was just hoping to avoid wasting time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upon further reading I have purchased the fishing close to home book and will have it within 5-7 days. I also searched the Metro area pages and read through most posts that seemed related. Looks like a lot of people reccomedn Pella, St Vrain, and various other places further north of metro. I live in aurora so its a little bit of a drive for me after work (night shift). Most people here seem helpful and if you dont want to put your spot out to the world I am willing to accept PMs. Sorry for running up my own post but I am on graveyards with not much to do but think about watching my son reel in a real fish.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Also if you live in Aurora take him to Aurora Reservoir!!! Better than any lil pond!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not too far from the house but what ive read in here is that the action isnt very fast from shore. Im looking for something to keep him entertained for a few hours early morning or evening probaly. He loved it sunday at washington park were there from 10-3 and stayed entertained the whole time but i know that wont be the norm. I guess i can go to aurora some time by myself and scout some spots see if i can get into a few before i take him. I work at the Purina factory so I guess that would be I-70 and York. could have the wife meet me sometime and drop him off then drive to westminster. i will look into it thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to city park this morning after work, it's terrible! Nothing but trash and grass and nasty water. Don't recdomend it. Might try croke res or Vanderbilt park tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went to city park this morning after work, it's terrible! Nothing but trash and grass and nasty water. Don't recdomend it. Might try croke res or Vanderbilt park tomorrow morning.
I have not fished City Park but I've spent a fair amount of time out there. I've seen some very nice catfish in the 4-5lb range and I've seen a lot of stocked trout. I've also seen bass crashing forage in the evenings. A couple of years ago there was a nesting pair of bald eagles there - I got to watch a bald eagle munching on a stocker sized rainbow while being antagonized by a few crows. It was fun to watch.

There are fish there, on the East Side (towards the museum) there's some sort of netting material about 3 feet out from the shore...I'm thinking it's to keep people from fishing that area. I don't know anything about the regulations for fishing there.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Look in your book for ponds that have sunfish/bluegills and then find them on google maps or google earth and zoom in looking for rip rap...a tiny hook with a piece of worm with or without a dime sized bobber right next to shore in the rocks should find you the resident sunfish population...prolly will be small but it will be action...you might have to try several ponds...the good thing is most of those small ponds have playgrounds so you can do both...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. My close to home book should be here early next week and ill start heading out after work and hitting some for a few hours. As for city park there was just so much sludge and trash all the way around the lake. about 20-40 feet out in some places i walked all the way around and was having trouble hitting clear water with an ultralight and 3/4 weight. got one little hit on my worm and bobber near the pavillion but all in all was not very nice. I'd be more inclined to try Wash park again before city park. Will try Croke Res. in the AM and maybe Aurora sunday evening. Thanks for all the tips and ill let you know if i find anything worth while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got out to Croke Res. this morning, ton of little pan fish. Ate everything from worms to eggs to fake corn. Good place for kids I would imagine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts