Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Clarification needed on moving bait fish in Pueblo County

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  hobiecat 
#1 ·
I just started fishing and I need a clarification on moving trapped bait fish, Pueblo Reservoir is my home water. Is it allowed to take bait fish from below the dam into the reservoir?

I'm having trouble parsing the regulation book.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I take this to mean that moving from below the dam
into the reservoir is prohibited.

4. USE AND COLLECTION OF BAIT FISH —
a.
Except as otherwise noted in this brochure, in
waters east of the Continental Divide and below
7,000 feet elevation, live fish collected for use as
bait may only be used in the same body of water
from which they were collected.

#4 · (Edited)
Can't move bait at Pueblo...You can move it between Henry, Meredith, John Martin and Adobe.

This isn't about bait, but several years back, me and a buddy saw 10's of thousands of 6 to 8 inch channel cats in the outlet canal at Henry. The warden showed up at the canal and we asked if we could move the channels back up into the lake. He said we could as long as we didn't put more than 20 at a time into our bucket..said he didn't want us going over our limit? What the? We asked if he had access to a seine..said we be happy to help him seine the canal and take them all up to the lake..It was only two feet deep in the canal. He said yeah, but it's not worth it..we'll just make some more...it's easier. We spent the afternoon and evening hauling catfish over the dam...twenty at a time..moved maybe two to three hundred..they were starving and would hit the tiniest part of a minnow one after another. Still thought it was stupid not to seine them all. It would have been easy to put them back in the lake..and the twenty at a time in the bucket..Come on man.

#10 ·
Can't move bait at Pueblo...You can move it between Henry, Meredith, John Martin and Adobe.

Don't forget to include Holbrook in that equation. Couple of years back, in true ******* fashion, I "cane polled" a couple bluegills out of Holbrook and then took them to J Mart and jugged up a real nice cat. My buddy I was fishing with just kept laughing at me until i yelled "get the net!" when I checked the last of the jugs we set. It was fun as hell.

#6 ·
None, I'm brand new to fishing and would like to collect worms and bait fish on my own.
I am in the process of making my first outings to Pueblo Reservoir and studying the
Colorado Fishing regulations. I work by the Arkansas River and drive by it on the way to
the lake.

#7 ·
For now just buy your bait. You dont need much than leech or a half a nighcralwer to catch walleyes or anything else in Plow. Pueblo is an awesome lake and starting out simple is the best. Being new to fishing and reading the regs is great. But dont over think that ****. I have been fishing Pueblo since 1983 and it is going to be awesome this year. My question is, what are you going to catch for bait in the river and would like to bring back up to the lake?

#11 ·
Yeah, you could take bait from Holbrook. We used to net large shad there in the fall in the channel that passes through the lake. Water was almost always way down. We'd freeze them and use them for cutbait. It never was a good ..consistent fishery..They used it so much as a pass through reservoir..water was always up and way down. For a few years in the early nineties, we ladder fished there for wipers. That was a blast. Just wade out with the stepladders and plant yourself in three to four foot of water next to the outlet gate where the canal runs through the lake and cast. We'd catch quite a few in the eight to ten pound range..and a few decent channels also.

Used to be a lot more fun out east..really miss Timber also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.