Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An issue came up in a thread concerning trapping and using your own baitfish. Roadkill had posited that it was illegal to trap baitfish from one body of water and then use them in another body of water. This is not the case. I just got off the phone with the CDOW Law Enforecement Office to get clarification on this matter. Here are the rules:

1. The baitfish trapped must be a legal species for use as baitfish. Endangered minnows or species deemed potential ecological hazzards are prohibited. This species are spelled out clearly in the 2006 Fishing Regulations Brochure.

2. The baitfish must be taken using legal methods which are also spelled out clearly in the Brochure.

3. The baitfish must be taken in areas where it is legal to take them. There are many counties, especially in the Greater Denver Area, where trapping baitfish is prohibited. These, again, are all spelled out in the Regs.

The issue that Roadkill brought up is that by using minnnows taken from one body of water and then using them as bait in another, one is essentially transporting live fish from one body of water to another. This is where the issue needs clarification: This regulation applies to gamefish and hazzardous species, but not to legally taken baitfish. While DOW concedes that there may be a threat of some minnows "getting off the hook" and forming resident populations in the new body of water, the probability of this happening is considerably low and does not justify the prohibition of using legally caught baitfish from one area in another.

Of Course, baitfish can only be used in fisheries that alllow live bait. Hope this helps!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,399 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, they need a fisherman to proof read the regulations before they print them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Grabes said:
An issue came up in a thread concerning trapping and using your own baitfish. Roadkill had posited that it was illegal to trap baitfish from one body of water and then use them in another body of water. This is not the case. I just got off the phone with the CDOW Law Enforecement Office to get clarification on this matter. Here are the rules:

1. The baitfish trapped must be a legal species for use as baitfish. Endangered minnows or species deemed potential ecological hazzards are prohibited. This species are spelled out clearly in the 2006 Fishing Regulations Brochure.

2. The baitfish must be taken using legal methods which are also spelled out clearly in the Brochure.

3. The baitfish must be taken in areas where it is legal to take them. There are many counties, especially in the Greater Denver Area, where trapping baitfish is prohibited. These, again, are all spelled out in the Regs.

The issue that Roadkill brought up is that by using minnnows taken from one body of water and then using them as bait in another, one is essentially transporting live fish from one body of water to another. This is where the issue needs clarification: This regulation applies to gamefish and hazzardous species, but not to legally taken baitfish. While DOW concedes that there may be a threat of some minnows "getting off the hook" and forming resident populations in the new body of water, the probability of this happening is considerably low and does not justify the prohibition of using legally caught baitfish from one area in another.

Of Course, baitfish can only be used in fisheries that alllow live bait. Hope this helps!
were they able to quote the reg that permits this, unfortunatly i have call the dow many times in the past and if you ask 3 times you ussually get 3 answers and many times i have been forwarded so many times they send me back to the same person and they just give it there best guess. so till i see it in writting something i could show a judge i wont be taking any chances


take Goldfish for live bait as an example, the regs clearly state "minnows" as legal for bait and in the same reg book define minnows to include goldfish but ask several different dow enforcement officers and most will tell you that goldfish are prohibited

thats why we need to find the "unabridged" version of the regs so when an under educated dow dude writes you up you have something to defend your self with
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
I wonder if some of the confusion on this matter comes from the fact that Wyoming is very restrictive on the use of minnows. My understanding is you need to keep your receipt with you showing what drainage the minnows came from and you can not use them outside of that drainage.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
take Goldfish for live bait as an example, the regs clearly state "minnows" as legal for bait and in the same reg book define minnows to include goldfish but ask several different dow enforcement officers and most will tell you that goldfish are prohibited
The ones that think that goldfish are prohibited, are probably not aware that goldfish are in the minnow family. If minnows are allowed, then carp and goldfish are allowed, since they are officially minnows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
The ones that think that goldfish are prohibited, are probably not aware that goldfish are in the minnow family.  If minnows are allowed, then carp and goldfish are allowed, since they are officially minnows.
correct-o-mund-o.
i recently posted that goldfish were illegal, after i read roadkill's comment i looked up the dow's definition of minnow and goldfish is there, sho nuf.
learn something everyday. it frustrates me to see misinformation posted here. it's even more frustrating to find myself posting it. let's say this is a hashing out proccess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
the er um wonderful thing about our dow is even though something may be legal, that dont mean you wont get busted and then have to prove you were right. also to the same extent it seams there are things the dow does not regularly enforce but that dont mean you wont run into the one officer that would bust you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Wow! Having only used live bait one time while fishing with cousins I had no idea what you have to deal with! Especially the if those regs. quoted for Wyoming are accurate. It sounds painful.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Grabes said:
the issue that Roadkill brought up is that by using minnnows taken from one body of water and then using them as bait in another, one is essentially transporting live fish from one body of water to another. This is where the issue needs clarification: This regulation applies to gamefish and hazzardous species, but not to legally taken baitfish. While DOW concedes that there may be a threat of some minnows "getting off the hook" and forming resident populations in the new body of water, the probability of this happening is considerably low and does not justify the prohibition of using legally caught baitfish from one area in another.   The problem here is when the person is done fishing for the day that dozen minnow that is left in the bait bucket get thrown into the lake...
Of Course, baitfish can only be used in fisheries that alllow live bait. Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bobco brings up a good point. Any minnows left at the end of your fishing day should not be tossed in the lake. The exception to this rule is when the minnows were caught in the same lake you are fishing in.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top