Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is ok to clean fish in a river or stream?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Personally I dont think it is... but I know lots of people that gut their fish at the river's edge. Some lakes have restrictions on it.

·
0 Posts
You are not supose to do that,in my Opp.I think it is o.k. as long as you don't through it back into the Stream,River,Lakes,e.tc.on the shoreline I say it's fine so the other critteres can get it,you know,racc.,foxes,cats,skunks,e.t.c.
Those are my two cents.
G.R.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info....I plan to take a day trip to a river or two in the next couple weeks. I dont do alot of stream and river fishing and did not know the ettiqete (Spelling?)

Thanks again

Pondfisher

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
did you know in some rivers in alaska, its illegal NOT to throw your fish remains back in the rivers?

This is due to the nutrient poor water, and the entrails of salmon naturally replenish these nutrients when they die and decompose....to remove that in large scale would do harm to the ecosystem.

Around these parts though....no, bury them or put em in the trash....although in a high mountain lake or something i suppose it wouldnt hurt if the fishing pressure was very light.

·
Registered
144 Posts
*sigh*

Doesn't anyone actually read the Colorado Regulations & Property Directory?

On page 9 under the Whirling Disease heading, line 4 reads...

4. Don't dispose of fish entrails or byproducts into any body of water or sink.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
go ahead and gut them there.. if you want whirling disease in all of our colo fishing waters.. i agree with dante, how can we not know this. they even have signs posted at alot of lakes. some people still do what they want though.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Well that whilrling disease info is good stuff to know...i wasnt aware of a reg stating you shouldnt put entrails back in the water...not that i would, but i know ive seen it in the past....

So thats pretty much the bottom line then....no fish guts in the lakes and streams.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Whats the big deal, I don't see any harm. What can it possibly do to hurt the system? Its not something that I do just wondering what effects it can have.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy...easy...I have yet to even knowingly kill a fish in this state.....I do not fish rivers and streams so I was just a question....while I do have a copy of the regs at home, I asked the question while at work...    Now i realize that you cannot dispose of entrails in a river or stream but can you use the moving water to clean excess blood and spleen juice? Would those fall under the byproducts catagory?

I figured whirling disease would be a factor...is it found in blood or entrails?  If no fish were killed or died naturally in rivers and streams would whirling disease still be a problem....just curious

Looks like a good ole King Soopers bag will do the job just fine....

thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Pondfisher said:
Now i realize that you cannot dispose of entrails in a river or stream but can you use the moving water to clean excess blood and spleen juice?
Don't do it, just on principle if nothing else. See the article by the Whirling Disease Foundation, "Whirling Disease Prevention Methods for Anglers" on their web page:
http://www.whirling-disease.org/

W. E.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks W.E. good link. I have been catch and release for as long as I have been in Col. and was unsure. I have no problem disposing of fish innards and such in the trash.

When you guys take trout for consumption do you just throw the fish in a cooler with ice and take it home to clean or do you clean them right there and then pack it on ice?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Oats - If you were a fisheries biologist you would know. I wouldn't think it would hurt the system either, but based on the info in this topic it sounds like it is not a good idea. It is good to know cuz I will tell people if I see them gutting fish at waters edge. It's all about being educated and knowing the rules.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
good luck trying to tell people to not clean them at the lake, i've tried it and most of the time i get "i've been doing it this way for years and it hasn't hurt anything" to which i have replied have you seen the signs posted by the parking lot that lets you know that this lake now has whirling disese positive fish in it. just goes to show you that some people are just really ignorant and they never think that they are causing any of the problems.. this senario actually has happened to me plenty of times at a small lake called teal lake up in north park. i don't even fish there anymore as it is just plain crazy with idiots in the summer, people catching bunches of fish with bait(which is legal there) then they don't want the fish so they ask other people fishing there if they want them, when they get no takers they just threw then in the dumpster. nice huh!!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
dante said:
*sigh*

Doesn't anyone actually read the Colorado Regulations & Property Directory?

On page 9 under the Whirling Disease heading, line 4 reads...

4. Don't dispose of fish entrails or byproducts into any body of water or sink.
Thank You!

the rest of you seam to be keying on the stream aspect but notice that it also say not down the SINK!

personaly i feel it would be hard to introduce a desease to a stream with fish parts that came from that stream but when you take em home and run them thru the garbage disposal they end up in who knows what water shed

but aside from the legal aspect, them fish guts and carcasses take time to decompose and sometimes just wash up on shore and stnik to high heavin especialy in lake that get drawn down like here at deweese right when the lake level starts to go down if you go to a popular spot it just stinks something horrible cause them carcasses have been rotting on the bottom and are now exposed, NASTY

i have seen the warden write tickets here at deweese for disposing of fish parts backin the lake

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm beginning to think that I have the only copy of the Colorado Regulations and Property Directory.

The answer is on page 7, but I think I can simplify this whole topic for everyone...

JUST DON'T PUT YOUR $#@%! TROUT GUTS IN WATER!

Are you guys politicians? I mean, who else can take a simple matter and complicate the (poop) out of it!! ???

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And what did we learn today??? Ask questions and get berrated....never ask questions.......

·
Registered
144 Posts
Easy, Pond, easy... Nobody is berating anyone for asking questions.

Obviously, typed messages can't communicate voice or facial expressions. Think of my reply as one of "amused exasperation."

(Wow! A two-word catch phrase! Heck, I could be a Republican with that type of thinking!)

NAHHHH!!!! ;) ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts