Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was was wondering does anyone clean their fly lines with anything other than the basic soap and water? What would the benefit be of using something else? How often do you clean your line? Does cleaning floating lines help keep it on top?

M

·
0 Posts
Greased Lightning (small blue bottle)! Though a small bottle goes a long way. I usually clean once or twice per year depending on where I've been fishing. It does make a difference on how your line slips through the guides (much smoother). Cabela's has it.

It also helps to stretch your fly line as well - this will help your casting. When I competed and we did the "Steel Head Distance" round, we would stretch the line before the competition. Stretching will help smooth your casting with an improved loop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use regular Dawn dish soap and clean the line up real well, stretch it before I spool it, and then dress it with fly line dressing (which I think looks and smells exactly like Armor All). I clean and dress it twice a year and usually get two years out of my line, even fishing 100 days/year.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
interesting question that I have been pondering lately.  I fish with a guy in Tennessee who constantly cleans his line, stretches it out before he fishes etc.  I was like, thats over kill.  Then I looked at his casting form and realized he shouldn't be making as long of casts as he does.  Fly fishing is what I do, and when I started to notice his casts getting out where I was I began to worry lol.  So the next time I went out with him, I greased my line up stretched it out and I added a consistant 15 feet to my cast.

Also, he uses the cortland 444 musky taper. I have used this line before, and I liked the way it casts. However, I don't know what it is that bugs me so much about a bright red fly line. Obviously the fish I would use this rig for aren't typically line shy and I have cought several fish on this line in the past as does my partner. Even, then why red??? Couldn't they have made that same line a normal color lol???? RRRR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thaks a lot for the input. Can you find the greased lightning at Sprotsmen's or should I go to the local fly shop? I didn't realize that the stretching of a fly line could make that big of a difference.

M

·
0 Posts
That's one way to do it Hatchmaster. Another (easier way) is to get a buddy to take one end and walk out the distance of the line, then you palm the reel so no more line will come out, then take a couple steps back. You can even flick the line a couple times.

The idea is on lines with a Dacron core, the Dacron shrivels with time. Every once in a while, you've got to re-stretch it. On lines without a Dacron core, essentially you erase the line's "memory".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts