Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of crud in the bottom of a gas tank I want to use for my outboard. (Thanks Dwainarvada!)

I tried to pour some gas in and swish it out, but there is a lip inside the opening that prevents clearing it.

I am thinking about just using a crevice attachment for my shop-vac and getting it real quick.

Do you think immolation is imminent? :D

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Just hook up a hose and flush it out good with water...empty the water out and leave the cap off for a day or two in the sun...It'll all evaporate and you'll be good to go...

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THAT isn't going to win me any Darwin awards, Dave. :D

It does have a really deep lip around the spout. I reckon I could pull the line attachment too.

Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Try a turkey baster or something with a suction bulb on it. That is what I use to get the diesel and crud out of the bottom of my fuel filter housing.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
chuckphlegm said:

It does have a really deep lip around the spout. I reckon I could pull the line attachment too.

Thanks Dave.
No problem Jason...If you've got a little bit of loose crud...you probably have more crud about to become loose in there...may as well blast the crap out of it...you can take it to the car wash if you want and hit it real good..

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Have Grumpie Gills walk up and drop a match in there...put it in the middle of the street first!... :D

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Don't know how big that tank is but I have a 6 gallon I bought and have never used-I'll let you have it cheap.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kirbydog said:
Don't know how big that tank is but I have a 6 gallon I bought and have never used-I'll let you have it cheap.
I think this one will work just fine, but if not, I will hit you up. Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Im sorry to hear about the crud in the bottom of your 6 gal boat tank. You might try adding a little bit of gas to the tank and then sloss it around, then wire a rag to a stick and then sop it up. Then add some gas stabilizer before filling with gas and oil. You should be good to go.

·
P I K E
10,072 Posts
Go to the auto part store and get a cheap can of carb cleaner, empty the whole can into the tank and slosh it around a lil bit. Add a lil gas to it and slosh around again then flush out with hot water, empty, then vac out with a shop vac then let sit in sunny place to dry...good as gold!!!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
TthePikester said:
Go to the auto part store and get a cheap can of carb cleaner, empty the whole can into the tank and slosh it around a lil bit. Add a lil gas to it and slosh around again then flush out with hot water, empty, then vac out with a shop vac then let sit in sunny place to dry...good as gold!!!
Sounds like Tony has done this before.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
My urine is not crud.

Maybe it is after it hardens for about a year. Intredasting.

chuckphlegm said:

Thanks Dave.
You can get away with that in counties other than the Peoples Republic.

:D :D

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DwainArvada said:
Im sorry to hear about the crud in the bottom of your 6 gal boat tank. You might try adding a little bit of gas to the tank and then sloss it around, then wire a rag to a stick and then sop it up. Then add some gas stabilizer before filling with gas and oil. You should be good to go.
I got it cleaned out pretty damned well.

The tank will work great. It is exactly what I needed. Thanks again!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts