Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
The DOW pretty much said they dont think there is much they can do to contain these, in every state they are found they slowly spread, it could be from alot of things too. Boats, waders, boots, fish, birds, ect. They also said the snails prefer warmer water so they may not spread as fast or as well here.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Hey hey dont get me wrong, I was not saying who cares they are going to cover the planet anyways so dont do anything about it. I brought up at the DOW round table this Alert and alot of guys hadnt heard this there either, some had.

After visiting 11mile canyon I personally wash my waders (hadnt been using the right version of 409, but will be now) leave them to dry and dont use them again for atleast 7 days. Since I have also read they can live upto 7 days out of water. This is my 11mile Canyon ritual, if fishing other lakes/rivers I just wash them and let them dry, snails are not the only invasive organisms that boats and waders can pickup.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
Yes, they said freezing your waders will also kill the mud snail, but for me this isnt an option... "baby I'm going to put my waders in the freezer tonight" "THATS WHAT YOU THINK!" :p

actually there isnt enough room in my freezer.

· Premium Member
10,699 Posts
daedalus said:
ePiC said:
The DOW pretty much said they dont think there is much they can do to contain these, in every state they are found they slowly spread, it could be from alot of things too.  Boats, waders, boots, fish, birds, ect.  They also said the snails prefer warmer water so they may not spread as fast or as well here.
what effect have these had in the other states?  I have seen some reports about introducing parasites to control them...what is the prognosis for the west over the next decade or two?
As far as I know the only impact they will have on the fishery is on the insect life since they compete for the same habitat. But in waters where the snails have taken hold there is still healthy fishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.