Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have asked a number of equipment manufacturers about compatibility of their equipment with the proven chemical solutions. A few of replied. A number say they are doing some investigation. A number of not replied but it has been a short time since I asked. I have compiled a chart. It will be updated as I get more information.

http://www.westdenvertu.org/NZMS/waderbootinfo.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Some fly shops are offering free soaks for wading equipment. (I believe golden river sports in Golden does this) I am wondering if anybody knows of other shops offering this service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
daedalus said:
Some fly shops are offering free soaks for wading equipment. (I believe golden river sports in Golden does this)  I am wondering if anybody knows of other shops offering this service.
Golden River Sports is the only one I am aware of.

If you find someone else and it can be added to this webpage.
http://www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm#cleaning
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
since i go fishing once a week i usually dont worry about it, I didnt realize those sukers stay alive for 7 days?! good info. It seems to me that either ice water, real hot water, or somthing with hot/cold is attractive. I mean if one can pass threw a trout unharmed, it makes me wonder how a cleaner is gonna do anything.(must eat threw shell?) thats far out they can do that...dont they breath?
I think a bag of ice, a little pool or bath tub, and some water would work good. just soak them in that... is that cold enough? or no
or maybe..I read somthin about winter streams... you could just fill a REALLY hot bath and put them in that....just dont let your wife see you do it! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
milehighDan said:
since i go fishing once a week i usually dont worry about it, I didnt realize those sukers stay alive for 7 days?! good info. It seems to me that either ice water, real hot water, or somthing with hot/cold is attractive. I mean if one can pass threw a trout unharmed, it makes me wonder how a cleaner is gonna do anything.(must eat threw shell?)  thats far out they can do that...dont they breath?
I think a bag of ice, a little pool or bath tub, and some water would work good. just soak them in that... is that cold enough? or no
or maybe..I read somthin about winter streams... you could just fill a REALLY hot bath and put them in that....just dont let your wife see you do it! :D
Cleaner will not kill them but the specific Formula 409 has disinfectant in it. The degreaser in this specific Formula 409 gets the snail to relax so that its trap door will remain open so that the disinfectant will do its job.
To kill them with cold you have to freeze them through. You have to get the inside and outside of your equipment frozen. Thus at least 4 hours will be required and probably 6 to 8 hours.
You obvious have not looked at the web page specified in the initial post. I encourage you to review it.
www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
fishin fool said:
whats the problem????????
my opinion is they are good for the fish.
in case you guys havnt noticed, the main food source for fish in spinney is snails.
producing really fat fish
And what is the source of the info re: snails as the main food source at Spinney? Also, what specie(s) of snails?

Been fishin' Colorado for 40+ years, gutted a lot of fish, and have yet to find a main source of food to be 'snails', so am curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
fishin fool said:
whats the problem????????
my opinion is they are good for the fish.
in case you guys havnt noticed, the main food source for fish in spinney is snails.
producing really fat fish
Fishin fool,

I can see where one that has not read the original links might think that.

A study has shown that fish feed scuds gained weight. when those same fish were feed NZMS they lost weight.  California Fishermen anictodal observations for a catch and release river are that the infested river has less fish and they are smaller.

Please take 2 minutes and read this to learn a little more about  why.

http://www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm#why

Here is the link to "The Bug Labs" report on the experiment

http://www1.usu.edu/buglab/projects/NZMS Denver April 2005.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
fishin fool said:
whats the problem????????
my opinion is they are good for the fish.
in case you guys havnt noticed, the main food source for fish in spinney is snails.
producing really fat fish
Though off hand one might thing your opinion makes sense in reality it does not work out that way.

Read this report by biologist about fish eating scuds that gain weight. Then when the fish are feed all the snails they want to eat that they end up dieing or loosing weight.

http://www1.usu.edu/buglab/projects/NZMS Denver April 2005.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
fishin fool said:
whats the problem????????
my opinion is they are good for the fish.
in case you guys havnt noticed, the main food source for fish in spinney is snails.
producing really fat fish
The cleaning procedures are not just for the NZMS but it is also to help prevent the spread of Whirling disease and Didymo.

I just found this article today where the loss of brown trout in a creek in South Dakota is being attributed to the spread of Didymo

http://www.sdgfp.info/GFPnews/News06/07-14-06.htm

According to the EPA these rivers in Colorado have been experiencing blankets of ditymo in some locations

Cache La Poudre
Frying Pan
Arkansas River
Blue River
St. Vrain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
Dedbeet bluz,

Thanks for the link on Didymo... hadn't seen that one yet. Seems it is even more pervasive than I recognized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I was out with the DOW this fall electro shocking and they were saying that freezing your waders and boots or shoes also kills New Zealand mud snails. They were using the Copper solution on unfrozen equipment. No 409 in sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
jibber said:
I was out with the DOW this fall electro shocking and they were saying that freezing your waders and boots or shoes also kills New Zealand mud snails.  They were using the Copper solution on unfrozen equipment.  No 409 in sight.
Jibber,
Are you sure that the DOW was using copper sulfate? They have been using Sparquat for a disinfectant. Sparquat is what they provided for the National Fly Fishing Championships earlier this year.


Yes freezing your equipment works, 6 hrs or so. It just is not a very convenient thing to do many times. Is It?

Washing them in a dish washer with 120 to 140 Degree water is also good.

Those and several other methods are on this page.

www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,347 Posts
I remember Sparquat from one of my gazillion jobs, and that's a commercial cleaner. Can you pick this stuff up at Home Depot/Lowe's?

Haven't fished anywhere that has been mentioned as a problem spot, but sadly stuff gets around, and I don't want to introduce unwanted invaders to the places I love to fish.

Even my second freezer doesn't really have room in it - and that's because I have 6 frozen kokes in there that I haven't put in the smoker yet... gotta do that...

Thanks for the thread, guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
fishingal said:
I remember Sparquat from one of my gazillion jobs, and that's a commercial cleaner. Can you pick this stuff up at Home Depot/Lowe's?

Haven't fished anywhere that has been mentioned as a problem spot, but sadly stuff gets around, and I don't want to introduce unwanted invaders to the places I love to fish.

Even my second freezer doesn't really have room in it - and that's because I have 6 frozen kokes in there that I haven't put in the smoker yet... gotta do that...

Thanks for the thread, guys
Sparquat can be ordered from several chemical companies. There is only one place that stocks it in Colorado. take a look at this page to see which place stocks it and what other places you can order it.

http://www.westdenvertu.org/NZMS/sparquat1.htm

There are several other options besides the sparquat. Refer to this page under the Chemical options category.

http://www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm

Home Depot and Lowes do stock the Commercial Solutions Formula 409 with Disinfectant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,347 Posts
Went and did about 2 hours on the Dream Stream, and panicked - hadn't planned on it, but wind on Spinney pushed us over there.

Froze boots and waders overnight - have a 2nd refrigerator and kept gear in a xxl ziploc - probably about 10 hours in there at 0 degrees Farenheit.

Guess we'll have to keep the freezer un-stuffed during the times we need to sterilize the waders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I have 2 questions.

1.) If I am fishing the same stretch of river over and over again do I need to sterilize?
2.) What about going from one infested river to another. Since both are already infested, do I need to sterilize?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
nelson said:
I have 2 questions.

1.) If I am fishing the same stretch of river over and over again do I need to sterilize?
2.) What about going from one infested river to another. Since both are already infested, do I need to sterilize?

Thanks!
If you are fishing the same stretch of river over and over again without going to the another stretch of the same river or another body of water no you don't.

Going from one infested river to another river that is infested with the same invasive, such as NZMS, there would be no concern of contamination of that same species. However, the best practice would be to still sanitize your equipment as you maybe taking another species such as Whirling Disease or Didymo with you. It will take a very long time for authorities to recognize that any give species is also contanminating a given section of water or watershed.
 
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Top