Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
nelson said:
I have ................

1.) If I am fishing the same stretch of river over and over again do I need to sterilize? .................
I thought I should add this to clarify.

If you have been in an area that is known to have an invasive such as 11 Mile Canyon and then you go down stream or up stream 2.5 miles you need to clean and thoroughly dry (or sanitize) your equipment.

Don't forget that your dog has been tramping through the same water as you so the dog is at least as likely as you to be carrying someting. Thoroughly clean your dog. Especially between the foot pads.

·
Registered
208 Posts
just freeze your boots waders and in some situations your dog!! 6 hours atleast!!!!!!!!! cmon guys freeze your stuff its easier cheaper and is a definint solution. if you wash(409) your waders as often as i freeze mine you spend enough $$$$ to buy a small freezer......who wants to hassle with 409 after spendin hours walking river rocks......wash your dog cmon guys.......fish more

·
Registered
28 Posts
We will do the best we can but these aquatic critters are here to stay. We need to support efforts to find ways to deal with them, either through biological control or chemical control. Cleaning our waders won't stop the spread because one guy will get drunk and forget to clean his waders one night and there you go!
In my mind our DOW is more enlightened than most if they accept the fact that we can't stop the spread of these invasives. I see no reason to ban felt soled waders. They can be cleaned sufficiently and rubber soles have been shown to be more dangerous. Besides, water birds can spread invasives both externally and by their feces. If we have to buy new rubber soled boots, maybe we should consider a helmet law for fishermen! ;D

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are many reasons to clean your gear, the greatest reason is to protect against what we don't know. Now many of these invasive species would still find their way into our waters without human influence, but some would not. Takes no time to disinfect so when/if in doubt....CLEAN IT. Some good posts here!

·
Registered
170 Posts
New Zealand mud snails ????????????????????

I have never heard of them despite living in NZ.

Didymo after being carried here by overseas visitors, via spore carrying equipment/clothing ( in particular felt soled boots ) was thought likely it would become a major problem, however in recent years it has not spread as predicted it probably would.

As for NZ mud snails .... as already mentioned have never heard of them or has anyone else I have asked, nevertheless will search the internet for any references to their existence.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just goes to show can learn something new everyday even if it is rather ironic that I found out via a US forum site.

Yes indeed it seems as tho they are endemic to & originated in NZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_mud_snail

All I can say is that they have not proven to be a pest down here, which is often the case where various species are invasive elsewhere, but in the country of origin after many thousands of years in existence nature has formed certain defences thereby regulating any serious nuisance factor. Conversely if they are introduced elsewhere knowingly or not with no appropriate natural defences in existence then they can multiply out of control.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts