Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of these streams are currently unfishable. Water is high and looks like coffee. Will post when it clears.

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The only Clear Creek ive fished was above Golden. is this the one you are talking about? i caught some surprising fish in there during the fall..browns mostly.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One in the same, I fished it after work a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful, but the last 2 or three days the run off has really kicked in. Clarity is only 2-3 inches in what little slack water there is. If it is lake the last couple of years it will be high and off color for at least a month. But the rafters like it like that!

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Well when it clears up some perhaps ill try to hit it with some streamers...when the waters up a lot of the fish will push out and to the sides of thier usual hang outs, making them easier to locate than other times of the year. there used to be a spot a few miles up above the tunnels on HWY 6 (i think thats it, goes up to Blackhawk?) where there was a small spring right next to the river...only about 30 feet across maybe. it was crystal clear, and if you were careful and crossed the river you could peek over the edge and sometimes see some really nice brookies hanging out there. this was strange, because as far as i know there were no brookies in the river. anyways, i went there again about 2 years ago...just to find the whole spring was bulldozed over. pretty sad, i never figured out why they did that. ive caught plenty of 16 inch browns in the stream though, surprising considering its so close to town and all...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Rottal said:
The only Clear Creek ive fished was above Golden.  is this the one you are talking about?  i caught some surprising fish in there during the fall..browns mostly.
I have done the same. Fall seemed about the best time(above Idaho Springs)
Clear Creek has to be one of the biggest over looked bodies of water in the State.

M

·
0 Posts
can u get any good clear creek fish around idaho springs or somewhere along I70? I caught one small bwo on a roostertail cuz I didn't have my flyrod, but it was surprising since the water was horrible. This was last spring.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just up hiway 119 maybe half a mile on the North Fork, are a couple of beaver dams.  once the water slacks off and clears up I wanna give them a try.  Don't eat anything you catch out of the North Fork and below the confluence of Clear Creek.  Way too many chemicals in the water, heavy metals and such.  Too many years of mining make me skeptical about the quality of the fish.

Dan

·
Registered
74 Posts
The road that goes up the canyon pas the resturant The Keys on The Green, pass Whillie Nelsons old house, all the way to the end! There is a religous retreet or camp! If you can talk them in to letting you go on to there property? They have a run of the creek that is just full of brookies! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mustang said:
can u get any good clear creek fish around idaho springs or somewhere along I70? I caught one small bwo on a roostertail cuz I didn't have my flyrod, but it was surprising since the water was horrible. This was last spring.
Stang, There is easy access from the junction of hiway 6 and 119 up to Idaho Springs. some stretches get fished pretty heavy due to its proximity to I-70. People do catch fish, mostly in the evening it seems. Below hiway 119 gets pretty good pressure also but seemingly less than above. I have heard BWO's are always good and anything that imitates caddis fly larvae.

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
i fish clear creek from time to time almost all year (except for when ice forms or run off). it is a nice close to home spot. it can be fished with spinning gear, lures, bait and of course flys and fly rods.

i do best on the fly. lots of little trout. i have caught a grand slam several times....in one day, brookie, brown, rainbow and cut.

i fish up rt. 6 canyon, all the way past the fall river rd. area past idaho springs and even up to the empire exit on i-70. clear creek is a place that gets fished a ton, but the fish seem to feed, especially if you nymph.

like i mentioned, i like this place as a fishing fix - not the best for scenery or solitude, but it does have a decent fish population of small trout. don't eat them! IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts