Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a few hours on clear creek today along stanley road. Still a little ice along the edges and generally frickin cold water so i started with dry/droppers and tried several nymphs, including san juan worm but no luck. I decided to try the little black foam sailor ant that I killed with everywhere last summer and fall...sometimes it even draws rises in the winter and early spring. As soon as I put it on...bam, bam, bam, bam, bam... had a frenzy of strikes for the next 3 hours or so. I guess the trout in there didn't realize it's still too early and too cold for terrestrials! Anyway, I didn't see a single rise all day but caught dozens of browns on the surface on the foam ant, so it was a pretty fun dry fly day for April. Everything seemed to turn off around 1 or so but I could feel the weather change coming in fast, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Plenty of deep water all thru there along I-70. I caught most of them in the shallower, slower eddies and pools along the bank...not much at all in the deeper middle of the creek. have fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts