Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Clear Creek above tunnel one yesterday after work. (5:30pm to 6:15pm). Still a lot of ice, but enough open water to cast. I landed one brown and missed a second strike.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just about every time I think this creek is making a comeback, something terrible happens. The Georgetown sewage treatment spill late 2005 really wrecked that strip of water, in my opinion.

The brown trout seemed to fair "decent" but I have not seen a single rainbow since the spill. I was 3 for 1 on bows versus browns from Golden all the way past Idaho Springs.

Now I call this place "Bad Luck Creek".

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s amazing the river holds fish at all, let alone a wild brown trout population. From the very start of the head waters; roads, mines, water diversions, and sewage plants line this testimonial to our environmental policies. The Canyon fished well for me up until mid November this past year. Looking over my records about one in ten fish I landed were bows.

I

·
0 Posts
I was just curious if I remember right wasnt there some type of sewage spill or something in clear creek last year, or am I thinking of somewhere else? Anybody help me out with that

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The poor creek has some sort of disaster just about every year. Last fall is was a major sewage spill, the year before a tanker truck crashed spilling a load of fuel into the creek, plus an EPA Super Fund site sits on its bank in Idaho Springs. Some how the fish always make a come back.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Irishman said:
I was just curious if I remember right wasnt there some type of sewage spill or something in clear creek last year, or am I thinking of somewhere else? Anybody help me out with that
I also read about the sewage spill. I bet there were some large browns floating down the river after that.

I

·
0 Posts
Thats what I thought... I also remember hearing about some guy a few years back pullin out something like a 15 pound brown out of there right by Idaho Springs, There in there, but I think now they are few and far between..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the misfortune to fish the creek two days after the spill, BUT a day before they announced it. The smell reminded me of the rivers back home in Ohio. I didn’t see any dead fish that day or a few days after, but I did feel the need to put new fly line on my reel. Just below the Georgetown Lake / sewage plant are some HUGE fish on private land. If you ever get the chance, stop by Shadows Ranch just south of Georgetown. You wouldn’t believe how big the fish are in his bridge pool. They also have a lake with trophy size rainbows, but they are almost like pets.

Hey Fishinguitars I really enjoy your work in F&H News. Now that Giles Alkire and Ed Marsh have passed; your articles are the first ones I read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts