Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with this section of water? I know the ponds all hold warm water species and are stocked with trout. Why does clear creek past Coors brewery not hold trout? I have walked and biked down the trails and it looks like it would be a pretty decent habitat from trout.

My guess is the water either gets to warm or Coors Brewery puts out waste. Obviously both just assumptions here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There is no bugs in the water there. Did a lab freshman year at Mines. Basically combo of things makes it where there isn't enough food to support the trout. Coors uses Clear Creek for cooling water. Not sure how much that raises the water temps though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be an interesting environmental engineering project for Mines to make clear creek past Coors a proper fishing habitat. They have successfully restored the Arkansas buy cleaning up the water and adding back in millions of bugs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also found this information from article: http://www.clearcreekwater.org/pdfs/CCWF-2007-report-optimized.pdf Page 24

TABLE 1: TOXICITY* CHANGES IN CLEAR CREEK • 1989 - 2007
Location Prior Condition >> Current Condition Proposed Future Remediation

Burleigh Tunnel toxic » toxic redesign Burleigh wetland
Woods Creek toxic » good fishery streambank improvement
Mainstem below Georgetown good fishery » excellent fishery groundwater recharge
Trail Creek toxic » toxic priority grant project for 2008
Clear Creek above Argo fair fishery » good fishery Maud(e) Munroe project
Clear Creek below Argo toxic » fair fishery instream improvements
North Fork below Gregory Gulch toxic » worse toxicity Superfund work in 2008
North Fork below Russell Gulch toxic » improving water quality Superfund work in 2008
Clear Creek downstream toxic » improving fishery dependent on upstream water
Golden quality and downstream

fishery improvements

* Toxicity refers to the quality of water necessary to sustain aquatic life colonies that are fundamental in

·
Registered
414 Posts
Blah Ba Blah, Ba Blah Ba Blah...........

This is what happens when you get too many engineers and environmentalists together............. NOTHING.

To quote someone we all know....... " It`s shovel ready".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could use some of that Mary Jane money to employ some Colorado youths to get off their butts and make a buck. All the while being outside and making a positive environmental impact.

Just a thought. I remember when I was in High School and how competitive summer jobs were.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read the link CF posted. It's no secret Clear Creek suffers from long standing mining pollution from up stream. Which kills the insects, leaving the trout with little to eat. Turn over river rocks in clear creek canyon and you will find very little insect life. Goggle- Clear Creek Super Fund Site.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That was my immediate thought. There is still a claim about half way up and other mines in the area- may explain in part at least. I'm not sure exactly how mining impacts the situation- silt in the water? Don't know for sure.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Blah Ba Blah, Ba Blah Ba Blah...........

This is what happens when you get too many engineers and environmentalists together............. NOTHING.

To quote someone we all know....... " It`s shovel ready".
You are a deep thinker. Fix the ills of the world with a shovel, eh?

Tell you what... Lay down in a hole, and let's test your theory. ^-^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts