Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all...

I'm flying into Denver tomorrow (4/1) for some family stuff and I'd like to hit Cleer Creek maybe Monday or Tuesday for half a day or so...with my brand spankin' new Winston BIIx 9' 5wt.

What sort of bugs and rig setups would you recommend? Buggers doing any good this time of year?

Would appreciate your input. ;D

Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts
You should have some fun w/ Clear Creek. A lot of ice is still on the river in the upper portions, but the canyon east of I-70 is open and fishing well. Starting in Golden at the white water park are hundreds of newly stocked rainbows eager for just about any nymph. A strong midge hatch is going off in that section right now so have some dry patters just in case. Farther upstream you’ll find mostly wild browns in the canyon.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well, with the Winston BIIx, the fish should jump right onto your fly. :D For some reason, chartreuse is popular on the stretch past Idaho Springs. The Flyfisher in Cherry Creek (now out of business) had a fly called the Clear Creek Special, which was a chartreuse copper john.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

According to Yahoo Maps, it looks like that area in Golden around the White Water Park is even closer than Idaho Springs. Is there a good amount of public access in that area?

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts