Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I don't fish Clear Creek as much as some, I know that if I'm fishing toward Golden, I'm likeley to catch plenty of brownies with a few cutbows every now and then. Never, though, have I caught a bow until Sunday.

The bow was a pretty healthy 12-13 inches, much thicker than most of the fish I run into there. It then proceeded to puke up her lunch of baetis and midge larva. It was great. I've never caught a fish that far down that was gorged on nymphs like that. Usually those little brownies look like they've been waiting a while for the next meal. Surprises like that make fishing too damn fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice!

While I've only been fishing CC for 4-5 years now, the number of fish seems to be getting better and better each year. I would imagine that catch and keep crowd likely avoids that water as well which helps. That is, unless they like a little cadmium, manganese, lead, arsenic (and occasional diesel) w/ their dinner.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I used to fish CC near Lawson, but saw that most of it is posted now.
Where is the public water between Georgetown and Idaho Springs?

I know the canyon is mostly public.

FB

·
Registered
224 Posts
My general rule of thumb for fishing CC is that unless it's posted, fenced, or in close proximity to someone's home along the river... I'm likely gonna fish it. Most of the time, one if not both sides of the creek has a public roadway along the side. Find a place to pull over and start fishing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fished CC yesterday. The Lawson bridge area is closed for construction ......looks like a complete re-do on the bridge. Caught 5 small browns west of I Springs a couple of miles. Plenty of public access. Got rained on a bit, never have caught a bow there just a fair number of toxic browns. They are pretty though.

S

·
0 Posts
Theres lots of acess between Idaho Spgs and Gtown, and more than just borwns as well, lots of the newly added Hophers and some cutts/Cuttbows are there in numbers as well.

SO... From Kermits ( East of Idaho Spgs to the rafting company is all public)

The town of I.S. is public

From the Stanley Rd. underpass up to the couple homes below the Philidelphia Mill Open Space is public

The Philly Mill Open Space to the poo-poo plant is public.

Dumont to above Lawson is public with the exception of a small residential area and the rafting company property.

Lawson up to the Hwy 40 bridge is all public.

Hwy 40 bridge area is public but access is not. You can get in at the West Fork though for a lil bit between the CDOT lot to the upper posted property, about 50yds.

There up belongs to RMA and Shadows Ranch up to the Pink/White house.

From the Pink/White house to the bridge is public ( maybe 1/4 mile )

Gtown spillway to the poo-poo plant is public.

So there you have it, about 7-8 miles of fishable water !

Oh, and you're welcome

S

·
0 Posts
Well, in the last 2 days i've seen guided trips from Blue Quill and ran into a guide from another shop on a "research trip" today.  Looks like we'll be seing more and more giudes around come spring :( Im not terribly happy about that but theres nothing that can be done about it.

On a plus note - maybe this wil bring in some more federal dollars to further the recovery and cleanup of the river.

Now before you get all pissy, there is 40+ miles of river and far more than enough room to hide tons of people. You'll never notice a difference on the water, just the parking, which there is plenty.  So those of you who would complain about it, probably dont fish it off the parking areas much anyway, so shut it !

·
Registered
224 Posts
The number of people fishing CC this year (esp. on weekends) definitely seems way up compared to years past. More times this season I've found some favorite spots already occupied. Like you said SL, with 40 mi.+ of water... there's plenty of fishing for a lot of people.

This year was the first time I've noticed BQA providing a stream report on CC as well. Heck, with 5 out 5 stars, that's bound to draw some attention.

S

·
0 Posts
GtownD said:
The number of people fishing CC this year (esp. on weekends) definitely seems way up compared to years past. More times this season I've found some favorite spots already occupied. Like you said SL, with 40 mi.+ of water... there's plenty of fishing for a lot of people.

This year was the first time I've noticed BQA providing a stream report on CC as well. Heck, with 5 out 5 stars, that's bound to draw some attention.
BQA did what ??? Great.........

I will agree, the clientele has gone up recently, i dont see the bait chuckers with their salt water rods out as much as i see the tourist types dolled up in the Orvis or Simms catalogues. Ah well, most still don't wander around much to find the really good areas, and thats just the way we like it :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I went out for a couple of hours in the early to mid part of the day. The water seemed higher and off color just a bit from the rain and snow; the water readings from CDOW don't show a big or long spike though? Anyway, had a good day but not a great one. Fish are still looking up though one did take a dropper (copper john sz 20) today.

I hadn't really noticed a huge increase in the number of fishers before but it was pretty busy today for the middle of the week. Most of the convenient spots didn't produce for me or they already had somebody in them. Plenty of fish if you walk or scramble a bit. It should get really busy with a few nice days coming - sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts