Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fished Clear creek between Georgetown and idaho springs.?

Or Clear creek from Silverplume to the tunnel.

It looks like interesting water.

·
Registered
163 Posts
About a month ago I fished Clear Creek about 1 mile below the Georgetown Dam on some private land. Nice stuff. Mostly 8-12" browns, but there are bigger ones (12-14") in there. I caught them on nymphs and dry flies and got some bites on streamers.

Even with the small sized fish it was fun and I want to do it again.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have fished just west of idaho springs. alot of little rainbows and cutthroats.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I've fished this river several times catching / releasing small 5-10 inch Cutthroats, maybe 20 a day along the banks in holes behind submerged brush and rocks...Also have caught a good share of Browns around the same size as the Cutts, however in a riffle last year, I was suprised by a slender 16 inch beautifully mustard colored Brownie that I landed. Further up toward Georgetown I have caught a few stocker rainbows and some of those had a red or orange slit under their chin / gills (are these cuttbows?) looked exactly like rainbows just with that small marking.
River runs real fast sometimes weighted stuff works best...

TH

I have never fished above the town of Georgetown on clear creek. Has anyone else? what was the result if you have?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Howdy,
I have fished the section near Loveland ski resort and been sucsessful for cuthroat. I have fished the section above the town at the top of the hill above georgetown where they park the steam engines. This section is still small water most of the year and produces fish if you can get on it. Between Georgetown and Idaho Springs is a tougher section to get on. Most of the public access will come just west of Idaho Springs where the cutthroat, brown combination can be fun but not very many big fish from my experience. Below Idaho Springs near Kermit chili is my favorite section. Park at the pull off and walk along the now existing bike path paid for by the lottery or you can even ride a bike up a ways and then fish. Good section with some nice browns in the 15+ range being caught on occasion with lots of 8-14 inch fish as well. Below Kermits is a decent section which is best walked from the south side of the stream and fish all the nice pools that exist down to the 8 foot waterfall and monster hole down near where they take out for rafting trips. This is my favorite section. Last section I forgot to mention that fishes well is near the turnoff to go to Winter Park. Smaller water and clean bottom provides some nice holes if you can pick and choose your public access. Grew up fishing this stream from Lakewood in the evenings after school my high school days.
Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts