Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking for a close spot to fish for trout, one that I can drive to at a moments notice from Denver.   Clear Creek near Dumont is the one I always go to.  I have moderate luck there, but nothing real big, but it is fishing.   I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've caught fish just upstream from the white water park in Golden and all up&down through the canyon. There might be some places that hold bigger fish, but catch mostly in 6-12" range. I helped DOW shock a couple (approx. 100yard) sections of C.C. last week and counted around 130 fish at each location. Mostly in the range I mentioned above, with the largest being measuring 15.5in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the note. Clear Creek seems to be the quickest fishing trip I can make with limited time available. If I have more time, I'll go further into the mountains and north and south. I'll try the spots you suggested. Know anything about the North Platte River near Bailey?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got fish in Boulder Creek (North) up Boulder Canyon as well. Again, nothing too big, but not bad if you can only get away for a short bit.

I haven't fished the North Platte near Bailey. I belive access though is limited.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depending on where you are located in Denver there are several good locations nearby. I won't cover the streams already mentioned, but in addition the St. Vrain, Big T, and South Platte are all close in proximity and have decent fishing. You won't be chasing trophies, but you'll find fish and have a great day of it. I'd recommend 'Fly Fishing Colorado's Front Range' by Todd Hosman for a complete listing of some great fishing locals in the area.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have never had much luck in the Platt around Bailey. My understanding is that due to the Denver Water Dept. sending water down it from Dillon reservoir, the flows fluctuate so much that trout have a tough time dealing with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts