Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think colorado can support ...gander mountain,sportsmanswarehouse,bass pro shops, and a cabela's ...for me I dont think we could support all of them...So huge sales may be in order within the next few years ...who do you think will go ?...I applied at bass pro shops today got an interview right away...pretty much choked I was nervous couldnt even think of the name of my fly rod or reel...lol.....but I think the guy finally got the idea That Im knowledgable about fishing ......anyways I think gander mountain will be the first to go ...higher prices then they others

·
Registered
943 Posts
the problem is this new rule by the dow is going to kill alot of sales of scented lures. i know they have not looked at that side of it. there are alot of bass fisherman that use these. im not sure of the impact but it seems like it is going to hurt. i think gas prices are going to hurt them also because people will be alot more selective about their outings. so in a long winded way i can not see all of them making it here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
good call FG i hope no one does go out of bus. as that means someone also losses there job but if it happens you can bet i will be there to help clear out the store.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manager that interviewed me had a good point on the scented plastics rule ...everyone knows that its a completely unenforceable rule but the fact that it is a rule will stop alot of people using scented plastics just for the reason they obey the rules .......its like having a cop car parked on the side of the road with no cops in it .....just seeing the cop car slows people down ........

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Im going to say either Gander Or Sportsmans will go first.....No cause they dont have the 'BIG NAME' but that their so close to each other. Ill goto BP and Cabelas a few times to check it out but becuase Gander is closer to me than they are Ill still go mostly to Gander. The same may hold true for others. If Basspro is closer I cant imagine someone would drive past it to get to Cabelas.

On the other hand. If people are driving past where Cabelas or BP will be to get to one of the others than those people may start going to whats closer.

(For me)
#1-Loaction
#2-Price
#3-Staff
#4-Selection
#5-other.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wouldnt hurt me one bit if sportsmans or gander got the boot ....its like the people they have working in the fishing department are the best of the best in fishing and look down on you .....its like look dude you have a retail position be cool and nice to customers ...as far as im concerned I would much rather have zitty magee a 17 friendly high school kid that knows little about fishing but is very friendly help me out then some 30 year old dude that thinks he's the best fisherman in the world and your below him ....it bugs me ....and the way some of those sales people ignore kids is also awful

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going to say gander will go first ,went into there store in aurora and was really dissapointed. not too much available thereshelves werent empty but dang close to it and really not much of a selection. cabelas will do well regardless. there location is ideal and they really are a destination place for the tourist traveler. bass pro should do well again for location. as for the small guys ill continue to support them just because.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
afishman said:
the problem is this new rule by the dow is going to kill alot of sales of scented lures. i know they have not looked at that side of it. there are alot of bass fisherman that use these. im not sure of the impact but it seems like it is going to hurt. i think gas prices are going to hurt them also because people will be alot more selective about their outings. so in a long winded way i can not see all of them making it here.
remember the new rule only applies to artifical lure only waters and there are tons of other waters were they will still be used and every "scented" plastic could be made with out scent just like the old days when we just had plastic worms they do catch fish even with out scent

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I was wondering the same thing in a post a while back. Seems like BassPro and Cabela's will survive if things get tough, looking at it from a the Walmart-Home Depot examples. It would be nice if Gander and Sportsman's also survive and, if someone had to go, Dick's and/or Gart's should be the ones to get out of the fishing business here IMO.

Though I've ordered online and driven by them in other states, I've never been inside a BassPro Shop and look forward to taking a look.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The staff at the Gander fishing department in Aurora is the friendliest and most helpful of all the stores...if Cabelas were wise they would swipe a few away...Cabelas will take them all down (except for the bass anglers catering to Bass Pro shop)...it will be one stop for everything...there is a 100,000 square foot store in my brothers home town...this one is going to be 200,000 square feet...if it is obscure and you need it they will have it...Cabelas is like a pilgrimage to the Holy Land...especially a new store...all sizes of minnows...leeches by the pound if you want...crawlers...suckers...they will put somebody under...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
they will put somebody under...
kinda the wally world of sporting goods?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Cabela's is quite the place. If I have been looking for something particular that I could not find elsewhere and was driving near a Cabelas I would stop and get it.

Unlike some people I know I do not make a 340 mile round trip pilgrimage to Sidney to shop Cabelas. That just cuts into my fishing time way too much.

I am sure when they open they will put a lot of pressure on the othe big stores and the little guys ae really going to have a struggle.

Right now I like Gander Mountain in Aurora, Unfortuately its in Aurora and I am in Littleton. Even before the price of gas shot up I rarely made a special trip there. Now unless I happen to be on that side of town I can't afford to shop there.

Dan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, Dan... as another member posted, the Aurora Gander Mtn has some empty shelves. I live 5 minutes from that store and don't go in it anymore because they just don't have the selection of lures that I'm used to seeing. The Aurora Sportsman's store still has a good selection but the staff is just a little aloof.

How come these damn fish just don't grab what I throw them?!! Don't they know there's fish in Africa that would love to have a shiney metal meal?!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Dante,

All the fish in colorado are probably saying, "well, just mail those little shiny things to those hungry fish in Africa"

So are the empty shelves indicative of poor ordering or are they having trouble paying their suppliers? Or what?

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the empty shelves could also be due to factory back order if those products sold good the factory may not be able to keep up?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I heard a few months back that Sportsmans warehouse was going to be sold to Bass pro and in turn become outlet stores for them. Anyone else hear such a thing? As for were I go it all comes down to location I hit Sportsmans warehouse then Gander Mnt. out north and you can never go wrong with Wally world during closout time.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am really looking forward to bass pro shops opening up just to check it out and drop some money at christmas, however I really like Sportsmans...the one on 84th is only 3 min. from my house so we stop by before every trip and pick something up. The guys in the fishing department are really nice and have given me and my Wife great tips on bass fishing since we just started fishing warmwater about 3 years ago. I like Sportsmans better then the new Gander up in thornton because they have more coldwater fishing lures and trolling gear..Gander caters to warmwater fishing and flyfishing and thats about it. Does cabela's and bass pro shops only carry warmwater fishing lures and supplies...you would think they would carry more trout, koke, and pike stuff in there Colorado store...that would be dumb if they didn't. Hey fishing guitars, will bass pro shops have ice fishing tackle and gear?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
According to Sportsmans website. Their new store (Belleview/wads) opens on October 6. I am looking forward to it. We so need a store that has SELECTION in this part of town. Thornton and Aurora are just too far and expense to drive. Even the new Bass Pros will be to far.

I looked for circle hooks on Monday. All I could find were size 1 and 3/0. I hope I can find a better selection at Sportsmans.

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
Unfortunatley, I think Basspro's and Cabela's will wipe out the smaller stores. They can afford to order in greater bulk, carry a larger variety of items, and generaly pass on those savings to the consumer.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to either Gander or Sportsman's to purchase specific items only to find they don't carry them. It is what it is.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you should tyr shopping down here wally world is about it. serious!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts