Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard today that Flyfisher is closing or has just closed for good.  I can't believe the number of local fly shops that are closing their doors.  I know that business has been hard with the drought and terrible economy, but man if this keeps up there won't be anymore local shops to frequent. 

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I do try to buy a lot of tying materials, tippet and bigger purchase items from local shops to help support them.  At the same time it's very hard not to buy the same items at Sportman's for a much cheaper price.  For example I had always bought my tungsten beads at a local shop for around $7, but the same beads at Sportman's are $4.50!! 

Does anyone else have the same dilemma???

D

·
0 Posts
Yup. I know exactly what you mean. I always try to support the small local guys, too. Several of them I have counted among my good friends. It's one thing when it's a buck or two here and there, but it's another thing entirely when you're talking about 25-40% of a single purchase of $100 or more. That kind of cost differential most people just can't afford to ignore.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I like supporting the little guys. But its hard to be walking around walmart/sportsmans/BPS and see items there for 2$+ cheaper then you have been buying them... Truthfully the only time I still buy at local shops is when I'm looking for information.

D

·
0 Posts
It's not like the little guys are trying to gouge their customers with higher prices. Often times they can't compete pricewise with the big box and mail order stores because they can't buy at the prices the big boys get from the manufacturer.

It sucks. :-[

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Don In Denver said:
It's not like the little guys are trying to gouge their customers with higher prices. Often times they can't compete pricewise with the big box and mail order stores because they can't buy at the prices the big boys get from the manufacturer.

It sucks. :-[
I know this is true, however its still hard for me to pay 6$ for a lure I can get somewhere else for 4$ or less. Flies included.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I went to Bass Pro the right after the fly fishing show the other day and couldn't believe it - what a place. Then I went to the Sportsmans Warehouse here in the Springs. Walmarting of even fly fishing....

Never been much of a franchise guy, and visit local coffee stores and eateries rather than the big names. So, I'll suck up some extra costs at continue shopping at the fly stores - what I lose in a couple of bucks I get back in "Value".

Also, major vendors like Sage and Ross require fixed pricing - their products cost the same at the big and small stores. I'll definately buy that stuff from the local guys every time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was on the outside of the building.... Kind of sad...

For 35 years The Flyfisher Ltd. has been servicing the fly fishing and hunting community of Denver and its surrounding areas. In that 35 year history the company has seen three owners and three locations all of which brought new and exciting changes to our small operation. With every change came new challenges and successes. Unfortunately, some good things do not last forever.

Recent changes in the Denver retail environment, tough economic times, and personal challenges have brought forth the decision to close the doors of The Flyfisher Ltd. retail operation. For some this may come as a shock, to others it might have seemed inevitable. The truth of the situation is that up until the point of writing this letter it has been my goal to keep The Flyfisher Ltd. going and find ways to make it a stronger and better specialty retail shop.

Changes in the fly fishing and outdoor industries have been on the horizon for the past few years and plans to sell and or move the shop were always options but recently all plans came up against challenges that were insurmountable. In the end it came down to the fact no matter how much you may want to save something at some point it is just time to let it go. Fortunately, The Flyfisher Guide service will continue to operate under the leadership of Matthew Burkett who has been running the guide service for the past two years. The guide service can be contacted anytime at 303-941-7226 or at http://www.Theflyfisher.com.

My deepest thanks go out to all of our customers who have been loyal to the shop over the past 35 years. Without our customers we would have never made it all of these wonderful years. From a truly personal perspective I must say that our customers are what made this business so special and defiantly [SIC] people I will never forget.

In keeping with The Flyfisher Ltd. tradition of wanting the best for its customers and not wanting to leave anyone without a local fly shop to patronize, I would like to make mention and indorse [SIC] the shop and services of Trout's Fly Shop in the Washington Park neighborhood. Located in the historic Old Gaylord shopping district. Trout's has everything the local angler needs. The owner, Tucker Ladd, has been a passionate flyfisher for many years and has earned his stripes through his guiding, shop work, and travels. Please take the time to stop by and introduce yourself to Tucker and I am sure that you will find his love for the industry shows through with his fantastic customer service.

Many thanks to all and Tight Lines,

Peter duPont
The Fylfisher Ltd.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Its a shame all these smaller shops are closing, but i can understand why...its hard to compete with the larger stores and the internet. i still frequent the smaller shops--- what they lack in prices they more than make up for in quality of employees and good advice. you cant buy that on the internet.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What all this means is that in the future we will get our info on local hatches, which tiny flies are hot, and fly lines spliced, etc at Walmart. I'm also looking forward to purchasing some cheap #24 mercury midges there as well. It will be great to be able to attend big box seminars on nymphing the South Platte and streamer fishing for big browns on the Miracle Mile. In the meantime, maybe out of habit, I'll probably still go to the small fly shops, pay a little extra (less than one would think), and figure their good, free advice over the years was worth it. John

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, in the general Cherry Creek-ish area, that leaves just Trout's on Gaylord. I hope they're in it for the long haul.

Steve

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, there's the new Orvis store across from CC mall...mostly clothes, not a bunch of fly stuff and likely overpriced a bit, but it is a fly shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts