Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished a clouser fly and was wondering if I could get some input on it? I will be fishing still waters mainly for bass, crappie and trout not in that particular order.

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The faster the strip the better I have had success with, in rivers and lakes. It just triggers the right response I think.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
One way I like to fish a clouser when fish are really lethargic is supsended behind a strike indicator. You want the fly towards the bottom maybe a foot off; somaking your leader what ever depth that may be. Here's the key point, you must tie this fly on a jig hook. If not, the fly will hang vertically and look more like a rocket ship rather then a dormant bait fish. Give the line slight twitches here and there and hold on! This has been my best method for taking bass through the early spring months.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first one that I tied tonight. Would you all tell me what you think of it please? It is tied on a Dai-Riki #930 size 4 hook. I did take it off of Charlies website.

Thank you.
Jim

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I forgot to add also....

I do best with natural hair (bucktail) patterns for wipers....white is my favorite, followed by a white/chartruese mix on a size 6 hook with small/medium dumb bell eyes in yellow or red.  smallish for a clouser, but it seems to be the ticket on the waters i fish.  i tend to strip this pattern medium/fast depending on what the fish want---and when they hit it, look out, they stop that fly very hard so there is no mistaking a strike.  beef up for leader and tippet to at least 3x, youll need it for wipers.  

for crappies i tie a smaller pattern, a size 8 usually, with marabou...this is fished slower (and deeper) and seems to "breathe" well, which helps trigger strikes from crappies i think.  As Pescado said, suspending it works well for this type of fishing...the closer to the bottom the better, and i dont fish it too fast.  detecting strikes is harder when fishing this fly slow, so watch your indicator closely...(i use a foam or cork indicator for crappies)...when it goes down you have a fish (or a rock, whichever the case may be)

on saltwater i fish sythetic hair...some pretty flashy stuff, depending on what you are fishing for.  the only issue ive had with sythetics is they sometimes tend to be fairly limp and wrap themselves around the hook, so you have to check your fly often to make sure it is still riding the right way in the water.  Ive caught reds, snook, sea trout, jacks, and even flounder on this pattern, not to mention a whole slew of other species...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
that looks like a winner to me...i tie them fairly sparse, they seem to work better for me that way. the colors you have chosen are classic, and will work great on just about anything...

jbrowning said:
This is the first one that I tied tonight. Would you all tell me what you think of it please? It is tied on a Dai-Riki #930 size 4 hook. I did take it off of Charlies website.

Thank you.
Jim

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like to keep my hair a little shorter in relation to hook lenght 1.5 times to 1.75 times the lenght of the hook for me it makes me feel like i wont get short stuck as much. chart is my favorite color with them.

now we want pics of the fish you nail with that guy!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yeah, thats a good observation---i also tie mine fairly short now that i think of it. for me the smaller ones seem to work better for wipers, ive had much better luck fishing with 2 inch clousers in a size 6 than anything much bigger. In about 2 or 3 weeks ill tell you if this still works...look out Union, ive had my eye on you....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking in a week or two I might tackle either Brush Hollow or HorseShoe Res and see what happens and depending on weather conditions.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
The thing I always keep in mind with clousers for bass is

1) tie them sparse; using less hair than you would think and

2) tie them short; keeping the total length no more than about two times the length of the shank. For saltwater I will tie them longer; about 3.5 times the shank length.

As for colors: chart & white, olive & white, black & white, gray & white, red & yellow, red & white, just white, just black, just olive, just about any color of bucktail I have on my bench.

I do like to tie with both beadchain and with dumbbell eyes and will often put a small bit of red poly-yarn just behind my eyes to mimic bloody gills.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
paddlefish said:
Just got back from west-central Florida. Before the trip I tied up about fifteen different fly patterns, but once I tied on a chartreuse/white Clouser none of the other flies got wet.

One tip I would give on Clousers is to tie some variations with regard to sparseness of material and the size of the dumbell eyes. For example, a heavier dressing with smaller eyes will obviously suspend a bit, making it easier to use in skinny water. For deeper water and stronger currents, a sparse dressing with a slightly heavier dumbell than you might ordinarily use will get the fly down quicker. It's nice to have the options, especially in salt water.

I also like to tie up real tiny ones using bead chain eyes.
So what did you get ifish did ya get into....fishin the west side...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts