Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Clicked on the link... after seeing That :mad: cover.. I wouldn't spend a nickle on that mag!

Seriously though, except for that particular issue.. It WAS an excellent magazine, that I would highly recommend. However, it shut down years ago :'(

I know Jeff, "elkdeerbear", and Eric "diesldoctor" used to write for it. Eric wrote a great shoreline angler article for the magazine. I actually learned a lot from Eric's articles. Great magazine, included a bi monthly article by the late Giles Alkire, one of the best outdoors writers, I've ever read..

Check this

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=34883.0

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, bummer that its shut down what a great idea to have a local hunting and fishing mag. Hopefully it will return some day in one form or another. I enjoyed the link to your old post, great pictures. I guess I may have to check out the libraries see if I can find the old issues.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
There last issue was August 7, 2008. They had some real good writers and some real bad ones. I had over 200 articles published over 3 years. Got all my copies of articles I had published. They had editions of the magazine in about 25 states. Internet killed them. Alot of the writers for the Colorado edition didn't even live in this state. That was there main problem, someone writing about a fishing or hunting area they had gotten all there information about over the phone or internet. Loved Ed Marsh's articles. Had gotten the magazine in the mail for 12 years.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
elkdeerbear said:
There last issue was August 7, 2008. They had some real good writers and some real bad ones. I had over 200 articles published over 3 years. Got all my copies of articles I had published. They had editions of the magazine in about 25 states. Internet killed them. Alot of the writers for the Colorado edition didn't even live in this state. That was there main problem, someone writing about a fishing or hunting area they had gotten all there information about over the phone or internet. Loved Ed Marsh's articles. Had gotten the magazine in the mail for 12 years.
Couldn't agree more!!! I was asked a number of times to write an article about somewhere I've never fished. When I'd reply with I don't have enough time to make it up and fish there by the deadline. The reply would be just make a few phone calls. I did it a few times then refused. After Dusty left it just wasn't the same for me and I quit.

Ed Marsh and Giles Alkire were the best!!! When I was younger I couldn't wait to read there articles. I'd ride my bike to 7 11 everyday hoping the new one came out. After both of them passed the magazine was never the same.

The format wasnt great for years either. Five articles with four of them covering the same body of water that has been talked about 1000000 times. Then 30 pages of advertisements for alaska and canada was a joke.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Your right there Eric. They always wanted me to write about some lakes in Kansas or Nebraska I had never fished. The first couple of editors I wrote for were good. The last 1 and 1/2 years some guy from California was writing most the articles. Get Real!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts