Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the highs in the mid 70s today, I'm wondering how the fish in Colorado react to periods of lower temperatures like this stretch of a couple days. Back in Iowa, fishing tends to improve and fish will rise from the depths with a few days of cooler temps. Usually the action gets better the longer the period lasts, just until the temps return to the 90s again and the fishing goes back to fair.

My question is, do Colorado fisherman target days like today and yesterday (highs in the mid 70s, down from upper 90s in the days prior) as days of potentially great action due to lower water temps, or is it the opposite in Colorado? I feel like the fish would have to be tempted to move into shallower water, but I'm wondering if the temp difference would be too much and turn the bite off? Does it take 2-3 days of lower temps to activate the fish (assuming they turn off when the temp initially falls)?

Does anyone have a viewpoint from an experienced Colorado fisherman perspective? I'd like to fish today, but need some local input on how to approach this unique weather pattern in mid-August Colorado. I typically can only fish evenings and currently can only shore fish, but I'm looking to get a kayak or boat of some kind to cruise around in.

Thanks,
Jordan

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
water temp is over rated. we only read the surface temp that only affects the top 2-3 feet of water. as the days get shorter and the temp evens out is what moves the fish. the same go's for winter when the lakes ice up, the surface water is ice while the water that is 3 feet deep will be warmer while the water that is 35 feet deep may only change a few degrees all year

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
A few days of colder or warmer weather doesn't really move the needle much at all, even in the shallows.

More important to me is cloud cover-love fishing cloudy days-extends that early morning bite.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Weather patterns and corresponding barometric pressure have more of a short term effect in my opinion than temp drops.

I agree with what W.S. and Kirby are saying is accurate about temps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts