Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

Thinking of fishing the CO upstream of Dotsero along the CO River Rd. Have never fished there before...

Understood that the river is larger at this location and that wading will be somewhat limited, but at what flow levels is it worth it for a foot fisherman to try to fish there? Is there any areas that have some sort of structure/feature to fish, or do people just bobbicater fish?

TIA, JB

·
Registered
356 Posts
I drove up maybe 5-7 miles from Dotsero on that road with the fam, but didn't fish.
Based on what I saw/remember, a bulk of this water was flatter and would be best targeted with floating rig (floating indicator or dry/dropper) or streamer. However I recall a few riffles where a tight-line rig would be preferred.

I think if you get up towards Gore Canyon you'll find more structure, but I haven't seen this section yet.

I do think there's some wade fishing opportunities throughout, but I can't speak to flow levels.

I'd probably be calling some fly shops to get the scoop if you can't get it here; tho I take their advice with a grain of salt.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Floated pumphouse down past state bridge several times. Can't remember how far I went below State Bridge. Crowds thin out past state bridge so fishing picks up and/or have the river to yourself. Haven't done the run in several years due to the s*ht show that occurs between pumphouse and state bridge. I liked to wade fish upstream of pumphouse into the canyon. I had a raft so I could wade river right, not sure how river left is if you can't get on the other side. River is low and imagine a little warm so fishing might be better as fall sets in....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Check the flows before you go. They bumped them a few weeks ago out of Windy Gap on the Colorado and Green Mountain on the Blue. Pumphouse even seemed a little high to wade, so we fished up from Kremmling two weekends ago. Decent water up there and caught a few on top as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are some good riffles below Rio Del Rancho about a half mile for wading and if I were to float from Rio bridge to Catamount bridge. Its a 17 mi float with mostly private land but sees few casters. Wolly bugger / prince nymph is a good combo or streamer beatin the banks. All day float and don't miss the historic water wheel. Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx all.

Appreciated the shared info.

If I get clearance from She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed to go, I'll post some pix and a report.

Cheers, JB

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just keep in mind that the river there will turn very quickly with any rain. Have a back up plan.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you have 4wd, you might want to drive down the first road west of Kremmling, I understand it comes out right below Gore canyon, but have never had the inclination to investigate it. Just past the old cabin on the north side of the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts