Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what happens to the catfish bite when you're in a summer cold front? The water temps are in the high 70s through the mid 80s on local waters and we have a 65 degree day today. Boss gave me the option to take the day off if I want it, but if I take it, I want to go catting.

Will the bite be adversely affected? Should I forego the off day because of conditions and take a day off next week instead?

Not interested in fishing for smallies or eyes, just bait fish and cats.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Cold fronts usually mean a high pressure system, which usually means lock jawed fish in my experience, but a day off fishing is better than a day of work any day in my book.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Cold fronts in the early spring can and will effect fishing negatively..sending fish that have been occupying shallower warmer waters ...deeper. Temps in shallow water change quickly...They're in that shallow water trying to get warm.

In the summer however, cold fronts can be beneficial to your fishing. It would take a severe cold front..very..very severe to move fish deeper in the summer. What can happen is shallow water can become more productive. Water that was too warm in those shallow depths for fish to be comfortable.. may become cool enough to attract bait fish, giving them an opportunity to feed in water that was too hot before..which then in turn attracts predators.

It would take a heck of a lot of cold water to change anything more than the surface temperature of a hot lake in the summer. Cold air..negligible.

As far as barometric pressure. In my opinion, it doesn't effect fish themselves, nearly as much as it effects the zoo plankton. Which in turn can effect the fishing. pressure drops...plankton are active..rises and holds steady..not so much.

I would take advantage of those cool/comfortable temps to go fishing. Both you and the fish may like it.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... I said screw it and took the day off. The boy and I are heading out the door at 4:45 so we can get to the lake and be set up by 6:00.

That gives us two hours of sunlight fishing and 2 hours of night fishing to try for cats. We will be using cut bait and livers until we get a line on em.

We may slay em, we may get skunked. Who knows. :). We will report one way or the other.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, he offered me a day off either today OR one day next week... My choice.

I was trying to decide whether to work today and take a day off next week when the weather is supposed to be warmer OR take today off and not have a day off next week. We work 7 days a week, most weeks. Decision is made. Lets hope I can get into some cats.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Good luck owen!!! Given the options you had I probably would have waited for a better day that you could make an entire day out of, but too late for that. Who knows, this cold front your fishing in could be the ticket!!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yep hope you slay them Buck and Owen!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a fun day today... no monsters, and no cats.

We started at Old City Lake, fishing around the bridge and boulders for cats and bait... Had one cat rod rigged up with twin circle hooks, the other with a single. Had livers on the single and bluegill parts on the double.

Caught a couple small gills (one is the unfortunate soul pictured above) and the others we released (after keeping them in a bucket with lake water for a while).

Fished this spot for 2 hours with livers and cut bait and no cats... We had what I imagine to be a curious turtle bump the liver rod a couple times and then nothing....

SO.... we decided to go upstream into the main tributary to the lake, Falling Water River. Found a small turnoff and a beautiful little fishing spot.

Here the panfish fishing was hot, but for some idiot reason, I didn't get out the cat rods and throw some livers into the middle. We weren't planning on really doing any fishing there, just stopping by on our way to another lake. But, as things go, we stayed and fished until night time.

Left there after catching some nice shellcrackers and bluegill and headed for the other lake...

Set up there, fished one spot for an hour with not a single bite on worms, livers, or cutbait (any species).

Moved to the dam, fished shallow and deep, big gobs of crawlers and livers, nada.

I grabbed the ultralight and put a stick bobber with a neon light on it, piece of crawler and managed 2 7 inch gills before we left. The boy was tired after 6.5 hours of fishing and traveling and so was I.

In a state with unbelievable catfishing, I can't seem to buy one on public waters... Mind boggling. :)

Still, great day off, and we found a couple new spots. Will be back after those cats very soon.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You'll get into em soon op!!! I like to use a big circle hook with 2 or 3 large worms on it when the going gets tough!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was using 5/0 circles with livers, cut bait and crawlers. Whatever I tried, no cats. Unfortunately, I didn't try the river.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts