Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lure that has really grown on me over the last season or two is the Chatterbait or bladed jig. It was a top producer for me during the cold water months (Spring and Fall seasons) and when fishing dirty or stained waters. Bass and Pike seem to love em! The biggest question is what type of trailer to use as I've found several that have yielded good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKIGPuIPTzQ

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Chunky fish Mitch and another quality video . You gotta upgrade to a hands free style yak though brother (no paddling necessary) . Wouldn't trade mine for any other kind or even a boat.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Great video!

Can you post some pictures or links of the chatterbaits or bladed jigs you frequently use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've asked and tried to find chatterbaits at Sportman's and Cabela's and the guys in the fishing department took me to the buzzbaits and said they were basically the same thing!

Thanks Pikester! Do you know any place local that sells them?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Dallas those two stores have them for sure. But that link that Pikester sent you is $$$ I shop there a lot and they ship fast. Zman's is a brand I have used that aren't terribly expensive and have worked pretty well on a few species of fish.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Ninja,
I must've just asked two goofballs that weren't that knowledgeable. Actually the one guy that said the buzzbaits were the same as chatterbaits gave me the "I only fly fish" disclaimer!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You can't expect fishing pros at box stores Dallas. Most people that work there (not all) just enjoy the outdoors or need a job. You will find a few that really care and know. But, most just "work there".

The local shops typically employ knowledgeable/helpful people.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I hear ya Ninja. You know the other thing I haven't been able to source locally is lead tape or "Suspend Dots." I haven't tried BPS but I've went in to Cabela's, Sportman's and even Discount Fishing Tackle but no dice.

I read online golf or tennis stores might sell it, I just haven't made it to any to check.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I hear ya Ninja. You know the other thing I haven't been able to source locally is lead tape or "Suspend Dots." I haven't tried BPS but I've went in to Cabela's, Sportman's and even Discount Fishing Tackle but no dice.

I read online golf or tennis stores might sell it, I just haven't made it to any to check.
Walmart of all places is where I have bought mine...

·
Registered
71 Posts

I seen the suspend dots at army surplus II off pecos n hwy 36

·
Registered
902 Posts
ill have to give them a try down at the bass pond. i only really bass fish for the frog top water bite which isnt quite here yet. ive never been sure what else to throw when its cold like now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill have to give them a try down at the bass pond. i only really bass fish for the frog top water bite which isnt quite here yet. ive never been sure what else to throw when its cold like now.
I find myself switching to Spinnerbaits once the water warms and the weeds start growing thicker as they are more weedless than Chatterbaits. However, I love Chatterbaits when the water is cold, there is any type of trees or wood present, weeds are low and the water is stained or murky. I like to use them on Rivers as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice video! Thanks for sharing! What state was this?
Hey Joe, this was in MN last Fall. I found some footage I forgot to edit before the hardwater season got here in the Midwest.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great video!

Can you post some pictures or links of the chatterbaits or bladed jigs you frequently use?
As others have posted...Z-man's are good. They hold a patent for their coffin style blade and aren't shy in enforcing it! Their Original Chatterbait is what I first started using but I came to find that the hardware is a bit on the cheap side, their Elite chatterbait fixes that problem but I'm not a huge fan of the price tag. I use a lot of Strike King Pure Poison's now in 1/2oz.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Lipless cranks, texas rigged plastics, chatterbaits..., swimbaits. The frog bite is by far my favorite thing about bass fishing. I love seeing fish explode on your bait. However, there is something insanely satisfying about working a t-rig across the bottom super slow and just feeling that subtle "thump" and setting the hook onto a fish. Took me a few years to figure out how to catch bass this time of year, low and slow is my best advice. Frog season is right around the corner though, I'm confident it would have happened this weekend if this front didn't come through

1 - 20 of 22 Posts