Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been to Pastorious w/ good success most every day. Most of the female rainbows are heavy w/ eggs now. I’ve fished skeins in rivers for browns, but wondering if any have technique for ice fishing tiny eggs. No problem w/ preserving, got that down. Thinking along the lines of some tiny mesh material that could be entwined on a hook. Jump in w/ your experience please.
7B4868E4-83E3-43E2-9977-193F1F815FB5.jpeg

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Been to Pastorious w/ good success most every day. Most of the female rainbows are heavy w/ eggs now. I’ve fished skeins in rivers for browns, but wondering if any have technique for ice fishing tiny eggs. No problem w/ preserving, got that down. Thinking along the lines of some tiny mesh material that could be entwined on a hook. Jump in w/ your experience please.
View attachment 32864
You can tie up your own spawn sacs with salmon eggs you buy online or local store.
Using eggs from fish you caught is illegal -- read the regs! "No part of a sport fish may be used for bait, etc." Rangers do look for people doing this and will issue fines.
Eggs from fish you caught can be eaten raw without concern for parasites and can also be eaten cooked.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are sure about the raw part? I know I've read about eating their meat raw and it's not safe. When a fish is killed, parasites will panic and "get outta Dodge", which can mean burrowing into muscle tissue. I'm not sure if that also applies to eggs, but it seems a little sketch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can tie up your own spawn sacs with salmon eggs you buy online or local store.
Using eggs from fish you caught is illegal -- read the regs! "No part of a sport fish may be used for bait, etc." Rangers do look for people doing this and will issue fines.
Eggs from fish you caught can be eaten raw without concern for parasites and can also be eaten cooked.
I believe you are mistaken.
After reading both the “Brochure”, which previously was called a “Proclamation” and the more detailed parent PDF published by Co. Parks and Wildlife, I contacted John Alvie’s, senior Wildlife Biologist for the state. I was introduced to John back in the mid 80’s by a mutual friend here in Durango.
He conferred w/ enforcement and advised It is not a violation to use “preserved” trout eggs from your catch as bait.
In my 40 plus yrs. fishing in Co. I’ve always found DOW, now P&W to be guided by respect for the intent of their stewardship.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
Been using egg sacs from fresh caught fish since the '70s and have never had a problem with Johnny Law!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I believe you are mistaken.
After reading both the “Brochure”, which previously was called a “Proclamation” and the more detailed parent PDF published by Co. Parks and Wildlife, I contacted John Alvie’s, senior Wildlife Biologist for the state. I was introduced to John back in the mid 80’s by a mutual friend here in Durango.
He conferred w/ enforcement and advised It is not a violation to use “preserved” trout eggs from your catch as bait.
In my 40 plus yrs. fishing in Co. I’ve always found DOW, now P&W to be guided by respect for the intent of their stewardship.
Go ahead and ask the friendly Park Rangers up at 11 Mile how they feel about it.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Are sure about the raw part? I know I've read about eating their meat raw and it's not safe. When a fish is killed, parasites will panic and "get outta Dodge", which can mean burrowing into muscle tissue. I'm not sure if that also applies to eggs, but it seems a little sketch.
Traveling a couple of years ago I saw airport gourmet specialty shops in Germany selling vacuum packed Roe from all kinds of fish including Pike and trout right along with high end Russian Beluga Caviar. Did some research at that time and read about both freshwater and saltwater fish eggs being free from parasites and enjoyed by many cultures. Sorry I don't recall the source. So I tried some when I had the opportunity. Acquired taste I guess. Fresh salmon eggs were pretty good, and I liked the cooked perch eggs ok too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts