Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm gonna be camping later this week in the Collegiate Peaks area, I think up near Cottonwood Lake. Has anyone fished any of the lakes or streams in that area? I imagine they'll probably be pretty good for cutts and brookies, but any input is welcome. Thanks.

Keith

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Keith,

Its been a few years, but the area around Cottonwood Lake (and upstream from the lake in the creek) was full of stocked rainbows and wild brook trout. Lots of beaver ponds and if you fight through the brush and fish the deeper holes you'll get some nice brookies. I did well drifting small spinners into the deep holes and undercut banks. I also did well flyfishing dry flies (Size 14 - 16 Caddis or Adams)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
This area is well stocked and usually fishes pretty well. Rooster tails and Panter Martins work good, if you are looking for some lures to fish. Id also throw some beadhead nymphs as a dropper if you are fly fishing.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This time of year is perfect for a trip to Ptarmigan Lake. No one will be there and you'll have the place to yourself if you can handle the backpack trip.

Otherwise stealth is the key to success on Cottonwood Creek. Be sure to check out the North Fork of Cottonwood Creek (by the Mt. Harvard trailhead). Lots of good water right there.

Also, check out the Arkansas by the triple tunnels north of Buena Vista (turn right (east) at the stoplight and got o the stop sign before the old theater. Turn left at that stop sign and go about 3-4 miles north until you get to the tunnels - it's beautiful pocket water and the flow is great right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts