Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished colo today and late yesterday in the glenwood area.
Ended up with 26 fish, mixture of bows and browns. Caught many large 2-3 pound bows a couple over 4 pounds, and also caugth a 21" male brown in full spawn colors.
Kept 2 fish (4 kept now on the colo for the year), a 14" brown and 16" bow. normally would not have done it but needed a trout fix.
The fish are hanging on the edges of the banks.
The rainbow trout, when cleaned, had two roundtail chubs in its stomach. The browns had midge pupa and fish eggs in their stomachs.
The browns are in full swing in canyon creek now spawning and the whitefish are done. Browns should continue until the first of jan or around that time.
effective lures were: drifted nightcrawlers

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bounced. River is too deep and too powerful for bobber to be effective. A small piece of yarn for a strike indicator might work though.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
very nice, a 21 inch brown is a great fish, congrats, i like to use a small split shot and worm , that is really efective on colorado rivers

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its really effective on idaho and utah rivers too. I don't know about anywhere else as I haven't fished anywhere else on rivers. It is a very good way to fish w/ a very low mortality!

F

·
0 Posts
When an advanced fisherman is behind the reel I think drifting a nightcrawler or any other type bait has a low morality rate. It's when the weekend warriors get out there and wait until the fish completely swallows the worm before setting the hook.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I agree with FG, you can catch trout all day on crawlers without hurting them if you know what you're doing.

Powerbait is different, trout will swallow that about half the time even with good fishermen, and with the weekenders you might as well write them all off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yup, I drift nightcrawlers all the time and never have a problem killing trout. The only time it can get tricky is in low water/slow moving holes where the trout have time to swallow the bait before it drifts by. But other than that, 99.9% of the trout I catch drifting worms are right in the chops.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see where you guys are coming from about the weekend anglers killing fish. The thing is though, they will not catch ANY trout on this river dunking powerbait and letting a fish swallow it. The trout will spit it out in mere milliseconds IF the weekend angler is lucky enough to even get a bite. Even if these anglers manage to get to a good hole (most just fish the first place they come down to), even if the trout are hungry for powerbait (I can assure you, powerbait probably would never work on the river very well), even if the trout aren't scared away by the 12 pound test and 2 oz golf ball sinker, etc, you get my point. Say even if these weekend anglers catch fish (they really don't for all the reasons stated) they could only keep two anyway. That's why I think there should be no more closures of waters that allow bait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts