Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Coloado DOW maybe changing Walleye regs.

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  TroutFishingBear 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I think it would be a good idea. Although the article doesn't say it, I'm guessing Pueblo would be one of the lakes where the 18" minimum would continue-which is too bad if true because there are simply too many mouths to feed down there IMHO.

But changing it to a 15" min. on most all lakes would be a good thing I think. Ed

#3 ·
15 to 22 inches is a pretty big slot depends on the lake it could hurt the lake depending on the fishing pressure that lake recieves. Have to remember Colorado stocks walleye as fry and not 10-12 inch stockers like trout.
The good side of this is for you walleye eaters 15-18 inchers taste the best.
Trophy hunters will be sad they cant mount their huge ones, the state record wont get broken.

#4 ·
If the 18 inch reg stays in effect at Pueblo, Chatfield, Cherry Creek i really don't see how that reg changes anything? I like the part of the reg that protects big fish, but who really catchs multiple big fish on any given day anyway?

I agree with Ed about Pueblo!

If you keep a Walleye under 15 inchs you are a moron anyway! But it would be nice to keep a couple in the 16-18 range each day to eat, if you were so inclined.

G
#5 ·
I think with the fishing pressure that the metro lakes get, it would be great to clamp down on the limit. Perhaps something like one fish per day per person between 15" and 20" at Chatfield.

I'm not sure the effects this has on fish populations though. I'm sure some harvest does good, but like Lonetree and Chatfield just attract the meat hunters when the bite is on and they get raped.

Kinda like the raping of Big Mac a few years ago. Going by the fish cleaning station you'd see these Jim Bobs and Bubbas using electric knives to carve up their five- 10 lb. walleyes each.

#7 ·
I like the idea of limited slot limit. It would be nice to be able to keep an occasional walleye in the 15-18 inch range. Protecting fish of a greater size would help offset the loss on numbers of smaller fish. Bigger fish = more eggs per fish.

Another possible benefit of reducing the numbers of fish less than 18 is less competition for forage and possible faster growth rates. I sometimes wonder if the reason we see so few fish over 18 is because walleye are starting to hit the limits of their forage base. Basically stunting at that size.

Dan

#8 ·
the only thing about dow making a slot limit for colorado
is what about us on the lower part of the water system
when we put fish back it doesnt mean we get to catch
them later it mean we put them back and they could end up
in a field or worse in kansas

#11 ·
ePiC said:
Trophy hunters will be sad they cant mount their huge ones, the state record wont get broken.
These days, the trophy hunters can always go for replica mounts anyway. I had one made of a musky I caught this summer and it looks great! They used pictures and measurements and also duplicated the scars on the fish. I used Lax Taxidermy at http://www.laxreproductions.com/, btw.

G
#12 ·
fishingkats said:
the only thing about dow making a slot limit for colorado
is what about us on the lower part of the water system
when we put fish back it doesnt mean we get to catch
them later it mean we put them back and they could end up
in a field or worse in kansas
I think that's a pretty poor assumption.  

I can see it now, "Shootin tartin nanny's.  I might as well keep this 12" walleye cuz if I throw it back it will become fertilizer."

G
#15 ·
Not you personally, there is no way (that I can determine) to reply to a post other than the most recent one. My response was to the entire thread. BTW Eric - Chat gave me back today that 'bow you threw back a few weeks ago.

Need any Salmos? I'm headed to MN again.

G
#16 ·
dkooser said:
Not you personally, there is no way (that I can determine) to reply to a post other than the most recent one.  My response was to the entire thread.  BTW Eric - Chat gave me back today that 'bow you threw back a few weeks ago.

Need any Salmos?  I'm headed to MN again.
I didn't figure it was for me. Heck, you know i'd be okay with catch and release only restrictions on all lakes. I'm glad the CWA is doing something more than self destructing.

Hit the "quote" button on the top of post.

I need to lose some crankbaits to make room for more, but thanks for the offer.

#17 ·
Just buy a bigger Tackle Bag, LOL.

My wife made the Mistake of getting me one of those Cabela's Master Angler tackle system's. It holds 12 3700 size boxes plus three of the smaller 3600. I have actually deluded myself into thinking i need to fill it ???

I need a 12 step program :p

I don't see why anyone have a problem with protecting walleye's under 15"?

I won't kill anything over 22" anyway. Besides, the fish between 22-26 inchs are suppose to be the most fertilw anyway?

#19 ·
Darn.

I've got one, too. You guys can't tell me you shore fish with those things, can you? I had to take out a seat in my boat because of that monster... :'( :'(

#20 ·
eric i just dont think you understand when you guys talk and have stuff passed as a law it works for you guys but us it doesnt for every 50 of you guys there are only 5 or so of us down here so when you guys want to pass laws they may work and help you out but the rest of us have to just do what you guys want
you dont understand that last year we saw alot of are water go to kansas lots of fish just sat and died here in the shallows     there are two lakes down here right now that we can walk on that have no water and were great fishing holes just 3 years ago

its just you guys have snow and water every year we dont
i have played golf on chrismas for the last 5 or years and on new years

we just havent had the water  to say oh we will let this one go back so my kids can catch it next year

sorry to sound like im mad but you guys have water
we dont have that much down here

sorry to sound bitter people

G
#21 ·
fishingkats said:
eric i just dont think you understand when you guys talk and have stuff passed as a law it works for you guys but us it doesnt for every 50 of you guys there are only 5 or so of us down here so when you guys want to pass laws they may work and help you out but the rest of us have to just do what you guys want
you dont understand that last year we saw alot of are water go to kansas lots of fish just sat and died here in the shallows     there are two lakes down here right now that we can walk on that have no water and were great fishing holes just 3 years ago

its just you guys have snow and water every year we dont
i have played golf on chrismas for the last 5 or years and on new years

we just havent had the water  to say oh we will let this one go back so my kids can catch it next year

sorry to sound like im mad but you guys have water
we dont have that much down here

sorry to sound bitter people
If you take all the fish home to the freezer and the lake doesn't go dry, then what?

#22 ·
If you take all the fish home to the freezer and the lake doesn't go dry, then what?
The D.O.W. restocks it? I don?t mean to be a smart ass but the water in those Eastern Reservoirs were meant for agriculture irrigation. Fishing for non indigenous fish is just an added benefit. We are not talking natural lakes like the ones you find in Minnesota and Michigan but man made impoundments built for irrigation. Eastern Colorado is a semi arid desert created by the rain shadow effect of the Rocky Mountains. The drought conditions the last few years have been rough. We are lucky to have any fish remaining on the Eastern Plains at all. Like Fishingkat I rather see those fish be harvested, than sent down the irrigation canal doomed to die. One shoe doesn?t fit all in regards to Colorado Fishing Regulations. Thats why different regulations apply to different waters. Just my 2 cents.  ;D

#23 ·
yes i would rather see people take them and stick them in
the freezer

thanks ouray

glad some people do see if from a diffent point
just i talk to people west from us and they dont
just see how low are lake and res. is and are
right now
come look at john martin and you will see how low it is
we will be the last to get water
you know im all for making great fishing here in colorado
but you guys are talking about fishing for our kids and my kids already have two places that they can walk on that have no water
sorry guys just hope you see where im coming from

i love colorado and i do know where are water has to go
fishing and hunting is just a priviledge

#24 ·
The slot limits that Minnesota has on some of it's northern border lakes like Namaken, Kabetogama, and Rainy have really improved the fishing...it should be noted those lakes have Sauger in them and they dont get as large but the limit is 6 fish where you can keep one over 23 inches and the rest have to be between 13 and 17 inches...

#25 ·
I don't think it should be so blanket. Rules always need to be specific because every lake's food chain is different.
As for my only walleye lake over here in the west, you can keep any walleye you catch, until you get your limit of 5. It isn't stocked at all, the walleye are from wild spawn.
But a change in rules is always a good thing to try, hopefully if they do it, everything pans out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.