Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinions, what is the average size for bass on the front range?

I know 14-16" are fairly common...would you consider this an average or slightly bigger than average with maybe 12" being average.

What do you guys consider big?

The DOW seems to think that 18" is worth a master angler award. are 18" and up pretty hard to come by?

just curious to see if what I've been catching is the same cross section as every one else.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Seems like you are cathing the same fish I am. I wish I could find better. Maybe we are not fishing in the right spots?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Depends on the lake of course but 11-12" sounds about average. Anything over 15" is a good fish for largemouth, an even better fish for smallies.

Alot of people tend to overestimate size and weight-that 17"er becomes 15" when ::) you pull out the ruler. I have alot of days down at Pueblo where I'll catch 30 spots/smallies and not one will measure 15".

·
Registered
119 Posts
It depends on the body of water. At a lot of places a 15-incher is a big fish. Then again, there are a few places where I rarely catch anything smaller than 15 inches (though at those places a few fish a day is good).

Overall, I'd say the average-size largemouth in Colorado waters is around 13 inches.

And, I actually think the 18-inch size requirement for a master angler award is a joke. I think it's the DOW underrating their own bass fisheries. If you work hard enough at a place like Pella, Quincy, Carter, Big Thompson, Riverbend, West Spratt, etc., you can catch a fish at or near Master Angler award size every trip.

A 20-inch bass would really reflect a "Master Angler" in Colorado.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the opinions so far. It looks like our experience and opinions are all on the same wavelength.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a small neighborhood pond that I fish. The average seems to run about that 12" mark but I've caught numerous bass out of there that are 18" and fat as can be. If I had to guess I would say they are in the range of 4 to 5 pounds. I have put the measuring tape to them since I don't like to tell stories, I'd rather tell you how it really is. I posted a pic of a smallie that pushed over that 18" mark. They are more common than you might think. I feel that the next state record smallie will be caught shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts