Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a fair amount of time at Lake Powell, and follow the forum over at Waynes Words. For those that do not know, Wayne Gustaveson is the biologist for Lake Powell.

I sure wish that the Colorado biologists would follow Wayne's lead regarding transparency in fishery management. He actively participates on the forum, seems open to suggestions, and gives great insight as to why he does what he does.

I ran across this thread this evening. Wouldn't it be great if Ewert and other Colorado biologists conducted business this way?

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=27&func=view&catid=5&id=73390

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wayne cares period. Here they are there for the check. IMO

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Wish we could clone that guy and put him in charge of all the warmwater fisheries here in CO.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't know if you've ever bothered to read it, but Jon Ewert runs a very good blog about his work...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ewert does share good info on his blog.....problem is, he often goes
several months at a time without posting at all. Pretty hard to stay interested when there are few new posts and loooong intervals between them.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I have read all Jon's entries. Informed, interesting, and well researched and documented.

I disagree with some things... But he is a smart guy and cares about his fisheries. I don't think anyone could accuse John of just going through the motions.

You can disagree with his interpretation of data or his conclusions based on certain data, but I don't think anyone could accuse him of not caring.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that his(JE) hands are tied.
Thats a shame if thats the case, he was doing a great job at showing us some transparency and seemed to enjoy conversing with us on the issues going on with his waters. Now he has a blog that I can't even comment on.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that his(JE) hands are tied.
I would guess you are right, I suspect his bosses did not like him getting cozy with the CF crowd. really a shame he was doing a good job here and cleared up allot of questions/issues. Blog blog blog forget that garbage......

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ewert does share good info on his blog.....problem is, he often goes
several months at a time without posting at all. Pretty hard to stay interested when there are few new posts and loooong intervals between them.
Jon posts at least twice each month about his work, and his comments section is definitely open. Considering he only runs his blog to keep us informed, I'd say he does a damn good job...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Steve... I was able to comment without issue today on a couple of the posts.

When you comment, you can select "Account"... I just select "Name/URL"... I then get a prompt to enter my name, which I did.

it then makes you do a CAPTCHA where you have to type in the letters you see to prove you aren't a robot. After that, it'll post.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ewert may be the best in Colorado, but he isn't nearly as accessible as Wayne. Post a question/comment on Waynes Words today and Wayne will answer within 12 hours.

I miss the days when Jon was posting somewhat actively here. IMO, this is a much better forum than his blog. The downside here is that things tend to get personal and end up in unprofessional attacks. I wonder if that is one of the things that chased him away.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
IMO Ewert does a good job handling us laker enthusiasts and is pretty transparent. I'm sure he does have parameters imposed by his bosses. I'm impressed that he has allowed anglers to partake in some of his operations. That is as clear and open as you can get.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jon posts at least twice each month about his work, and his comments section is definitely open. Considering he only runs his blog to keep us informed, I'd say he does a damn good job...
Luke, no doubt JE knows his stuff and he does do a good job for CPW but you are mistaken or looking at a different blog than I am if you say he's posting on his blog twice each month. Matter of fact, I just looked, there were no posts on Jon's Blog between June 9th and September 28th in 2013. That's a period of 3 and a half months of nothing. I'm sure he's busy in summer but personally, I'm only going to check for new posts on a blog for a month or two before I stop looking because there is nothing new there. I liked Jon's blog, but I gave up on it because it went so long last summer with no new posts. If he's going to have a blog that I will frequent, he needs to post something new with more regularity no matter the time of year.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Coincidence?

The downside here is that things tend to get personal and end up in unprofessional attacks. I wonder if that is one of the things that chased him away.

Good point Bionic Man. Some people find those kinds of antics intolerable.

Food for thought, did you see the story on the news about the guy who's truck was hit by a Denver cop on Monaco. He has been waiting 90 days for a response from the city.

Just Sayin.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts