Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share this photo with you. It is of a very good friend with a nice 23" cutthroat. I should say the length is somewhat of a guess because we did not have a proper measuring device.

We drove an easy 4X4 road to this lake at 12,100'. What's crazy about this lake is, I've driven by it at least three times, over the years, while negotiating one of Colorado's high mountain passes. For many years, I had known about it from Tim Kelly's book. Normally, while 4x4ing, I would have stopped to investigate the lake but, although the lake is only a couple hundred yards from the road, the lake is not visible from the road.

My friend caught the fish about 40 yards from where he is now and had to maneuver the fish around the bank while yelling at me. I was napping in my truck. Finally, I heard him and made a quick b-line to him to take this photo. I don't recall his fly pattern but I believe he was stripping a small pheasant tail nymph or something similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Not quite 23", although a sweet high cutty. This one is 23":

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Awesome fish, those cutts are one of a kind. I'd guess 19-20". Very healthy fish, nice thick tail.

Who took that awful photo, Mike? :D

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Yeah 2 years after that pic they rotenoned the lake.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Dem cutties are beauts, OP and Slayer!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Beauties and the beast(s)! ....you can decide which is which depending on your taste or preference.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Probably to reintroduce the native greenback species of cutthroat trout...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slayerfish,

Yours looks way bigger than my friend's cut. Is yours a greenback? My friend's was caught east of the divide, by about .5 mile, so we're assuming it is a greenback; however, with the controversy surrounding this trout, we're not sure. I don't think it's a Colorado or Rio Grande cutthroat and certainly not a Snake River cutthroat.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
No mine was NOT a greenback. Thats why they killed the lake- to stock greenies in it! Mine was about 2 miles east of the divide.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
They said that that lake had whirling disease, and they said that that's why they killed it. You can look it up.

They also claimed that ALL fish East of the divide were greenbacks, until no fish were greenbacks except the ones in that one creek.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts