• The CDOW does a good job, but some minor improvements could be made

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally - I think they do a decent job but my biggest concern is the enforcement of regulations. All too often I see the regulations being abused, lack of enforcement is tough on Colorado's resources.

I'm sure lack of funding may have a major part to play in that - with the budget cuts for just about everything these days...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Re: Colroado Division of Wildlife

I think they do a good job, but I'd like to see them do some things differently.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
GOOD job in some areas, horrible job in other areas. Looks like the warm water fisherys on the front range they do an excellent job. Blue Mesa rates a F- , the whole mentallity of stocker RBT and Kokes is just so lame but supports allot of CDOW hatchey jobs. Enforcement is poor at best, recorded mesg on game thief line is a joke.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ditto. I know alot of you folks see us WS guys as whiners, but I'm betting if you walleye and bass guys (let alone laker/pike fishermen) were fishing over here you would be WAY louder and even more obnoxious. ;D :mad:

·
Registered
461 Posts
The front range may be ok. But the west slope is where I live and that is what matters to me. Killing throphy fisheries for suckers, squaw fish, kokes and the precious rainbow trout is just piss poor imo.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Missing an option--Good job, but could improve in some areas. Quite a gap between average and outstanding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pretty wide open subject line. But it looks like people have narrowed it down to fish management. Which, as far as the WS is concerned, needs to be trashed and started over from scratch.

sswan said:
I think they do a good job
Really? What world do you live in?

UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
I give them a 7 on the suck scale.
Being pretty liberal (easy on them) there. Come on, tell us what you really think. Maybe a 9?

brown-time said:
but I'm betting if you walleye and bass guys (let alone laker/pike fishermen) were fishing over here
Don't encourage them, things are bad enough as it is.

Now big game management is a different story. A lot better job but still needing a little improvement.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Worst "MANAGEMENT" agency I have ever seen, at least on this side of the hill. No predators allowed in any body of water that connects into the endangered drainage. They wonder why the bucket bios are stocking bass and pike everywhere, MAYBE that is what people want to fish for ??

I hear the smallies are really taking off in Ridgeway and Blue and the pike in Highline and mack mesa are thriving despite state parks and DOW. MAYBE if they would give us a couple bodies of water managed for bass/eyes/pike the bucket guys would slow down?

·
Registered
978 Posts
They do a terrible job of management on the WS, the only decent lakes we have are because of bucket bio's. The one lake they did a pretty good job managing is ruined now.

·
Registered
879 Posts
1) The DOW needs to stop worrying about the 2% of the budget that comes from the Feds and and stop letting them dictate what we will manage for.

2) Find a way to make the hikers, bikers and watchers pay their fair share. The habitat stamp is a good start but needs to be expanded some how. (I am sure they are open for ideas, and I don't have any)

3) Start opening up their minds and put there egos back in their pocket. Unless a person with ideas has an "advanced" degree, they don't listen. Believe it or not, there are smarter people than some of their people. When did common sense become a bad thing.

4) Get rid of at least 1/4 of the chair jockies in the Denver office. Computer games, child care and coffee talk are not helping wildlife managment. Take that money and put towards enforcment.

5) Get the DA on board to follow through with the enforcment. If a wildlife officer puts in 100's of hours of work to get a poacher, the DA should have some other kind of answer than "it is not worth my time to pursue this".

Like everything else, there are good people who do 90% of the work and lazy people who think they work. There are good people in the DOW, and even though I don't agree with what they do all of the time, they are trying. It just seems that that group of people are getting smaller and smaller.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Worst "MANAGEMENT" agency I have ever seen, at least on this side of the hill. No predators allowed in any body of water that connects into the endangered drainage. They wonder why the bucket bios are stocking bass and pike everywhere, MAYBE that is what people want to fish for ??

I hear the smallies are really taking off in Ridgeway and Blue and the pike in Highline and mack mesa are thriving despite state parks and DOW. MAYBE if they would give us a couple bodies of water managed for bass/eyes/pike the bucket guys would slow down?
What do you mean by "bucket bios" ? I am not familiar with that term

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
GRAB A FEW 5 GALLON BUCKETS, GO TO A LAKE, CATCH YOUR FAVORITE SPECIES AND HAUL THEM TO ANOTHER LAKE . A few guys spending their own money can do a better job than the DOW.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FLYFISHGEEK said:
GRAB A FEW 5 GALLON BUCKETS, GO TO A LAKE, CATCH YOUR FAVORITE SPECIES AND HAUL THEM TO ANOTHER LAKE . A few guys spending their own money can do a better job than the DOW.
Lol - that would be interesting with certain fish/lake combos

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
It has worked wonders on many lakes! Ridgeway now has a great population of smallies, blue mesa has smallies and perch and I don't care what anyone says, I wish every koke in the state would go belly up, the lakers will be fine with perch to eat

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bucket biology isn't good. Some of the species that have been put over here with it have been nice to have, but others have ruined lakes. Blue Mesa's problems all started with bucketed perch, it was balanced and a great lake for 4 species for many years before perch ruined all that. A ton of people like kokes also and kokes make toad lakers and browns. We can't just have what we personally want in primarily coldwater lakes. But it's a shame on the few warmwater lakes we have that they can't even be managed as such. It would be incredible to be a "Vampire" over here and be fishing for huge walleyes but the silly limitations and lack of a simple net in our best lakes prevent that over here. No real reason that can be justified. Since pike are the next best thing in the warmwaters we do have, that's what most everyone else wants. Now comes the bowhunting rule change and we can't even have that. THAT's the crux of the problem and it starts and ends with treating trophy and warmwater fishermen--those that care about the resource and practice catch and release--with respect.

Pike over-populate and eat too many of the other species like all the bass in Crawford, they need to be limited, but not eliminated, they serve a great purpose in the lakes that have too many perch and give a quality gamefish. Most everyone over here is against bucket biology but out of sheer frustration it is easy to say that if the DOW listened less to the USFWS and more to their customers, BB would go away overnight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts