Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our return trip from Utah we will be stopping over in southern Colorado for a few days of fly fishing during the second week of June. I know this is usually the run-off period of high river flows. Where would be my best bet for fishing at that time? How would the Conejos likely be?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
This reminds me of someone signing up on a hunting forum. They make one post asking where to hunt. They don't want a trophy, but a 6x6 bull would be nice, and of course they don't want your honey hole. They do want to know exactly where to hunt though. Then they never post again.

We'll see if this follows the same path. It has so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mighty friendly of you there, Pete-G. Just looking for some friendly advice on places to fish during runoff. Being from Alabama, I don't have the pleasure of visiting Colorado very often so I want to make the most of my visits when I do go there. I always catch and release so I'm not being greedy. BTW, my last trip to Colorado was a week around BV and loved it. Had fun fishing the Arkansas. Sorry if I offend you with my request.

·
P I K E
10,160 Posts
Edwardo, don't mind old Pete. He's just an old grumpy codger living in the wilderness alone except for his peanut butter eatin dog! Welcome to the forum and you got a good start on some good info! Tight lines!!!

Oh, and Pete lives in BV!!! Stop by and give him a visit, Heaven only knows he could use some human interaction!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
It's hard to say what run off will be like until we get into late spring. Be prepared to adjust where you fish, IE different river or go further upstream or find a tributary.

A poster all-ready mentioned the San Juan in New Mex, which is an excellent option and will negate any worries about run off due to the fact it is a tailwater.

As far as Colorado, these are the one's I'd do some research on and see if they will fit what your looking for.

Conejos River

Piedra River

Animas River

San Miguel River

Rio Grande

Dolores River

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sounds like you better hire a guide or do some research.......time or money. Your choice, Eddy Spaghetti.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Mighty friendly of you there, Pete-G. Just looking for some friendly advice on places to fish during runoff. Being from Alabama, I don't have the pleasure of visiting Colorado very often so I want to make the most of my visits when I do go there. I always catch and release so I'm not being greedy. BTW, my last trip to Colorado was a week around BV and loved it. Had fun fishing the Arkansas. Sorry if I offend you with my request.
I can't be offended. So, no reason to be sorry.

You took 11 days for your 2nd post, so I pointed out this happens a lot. However, in most cases they never make a 2nd post. I have to wonder if my post inspired you to make another post?

We'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't be offended. So, no reason to be sorry.

You took 11 days for your 2nd post, so I pointed out this happens a lot. However, in most cases they never make a 2nd post. I have to wonder if my post inspired you to make another post?

We'll see.
No, the first 10 days and only one reply; I was waiting for more responses, Old Pete; I don't visit every day here. If I come to Buena Vista, are you gonna put me on to a few of your honey holes; I love the area?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Where specifically in Southern CO?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
No, the first 10 days and only one reply; I was waiting for more responses, Old Pete; I don't visit every day here. If I come to Buena Vista, are you gonna put me on to a few of your honey holes; I love the area?
The whole river is a honey hole.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Not in the second week of June it isn't ROFL

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Speaking of that 'river" one of these days I have to fish that infamous Mothers Day hatch!

WTH is wrong with me for never doing this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's hard to say what run off will be like until we get into late spring. Be prepared to adjust where you fish, IE different river or go further upstream or find a tributary.

A poster all-ready mentioned the San Juan in New Mex, which is an excellent option and will negate any worries about run off due to the fact it is a tailwater.

As far as Colorado, these are the one's I'd do some research on and see if they will fit what your looking for.

Conejos River

Piedra River

Animas River

San Miguel River

Rio Grande

Dolores River
All of these rivers sound good as long as they do not require lots of experience to catch fish. I loved Conejos a few years ago; it was also the first week of June, albeit, less snow pack that winter.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
All of these rivers sound good as long as they do not require lots of experience to catch fish. I loved Conejos a few years ago; it was also the first week of June, albeit, less snow pack that winter.

Less experience to me would mean you may do better on smaller tributaries punching dries upstream.

Maybe take a look at the attachment and the basins here and see what you can find.

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Pages/FishingStatewideMaps.aspx

1 - 20 of 41 Posts