Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Well, if it were me, I would avoid all moving water. That is dead in the middle of run off and nearly everything will be very tough fishing. The Rio Grand has some decent fishing during runoff if you get a guide and float and pound the banks with terrestrials but even that may be a challenge. The date you speak of could not be worse for rivers.

Sometimes, you can get away with fishing the Gunnison that late and the runoff isn't too terrible, but man, my guess is you are going to have to fish lakes....which isn't the worst thing, that is a great time for lakes. Vinny gave you great advice. If you want to stay further south than that, consider Deweese Res or North lake or Monument lake outside of Trinidad. Those are both smaller lakes with smaller fish but they are so fun and in a stunning area. The drive alone is worth it. If you need directions, let me know.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Go to tailwaters. Taylor and Frying Pan are good choices.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pa-Co-Chu-Puk or Jurrasic Park as it is known over here. Never have fished it even though it's just a couple of miles down the road from me. If I were to choose out of the three mentioned I would opt for the San Juan at that time of year if you are only able to hit one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I may opt for the San Juan in early May and Uncompahgre at Pa Co Chu Puk in early June; we've been wanting to see the Owl Creek Pass near Ridgeway anyway.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Another recommendation if you hit those two is to fish mid week. Even though the are is remote from the front range they see a lot of traffic on the weekends. When you hit Paco swing by RIGS fly shop on Main St in Ridgeway for the latest scoop. If you are camping you can essentially camp right on the Unc at Midway State Park.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Owl Creek Pass when the colors are changing is magnificent. However that is later in the year than when you are planning on visiting. The drive over the pass however is quite easy and if you get the chance you can stop at Silverjack and try some of the inlet creeks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you talking about in the reservoir or above or below the reservoir?
The hatches start in the lake mid June and go to the end of Aug..

caddis-adult damsel-beetles- hoppers-callibaetis in the shallow bays..

Look for the rings and hold on.. Heavy 1X tippet,,,, they're not shy..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
1X tippet? How big are they?

What size fly are you putting on 1X tippet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Another recommendation if you hit those two is to fish mid week. Even though the are is remote from the front range they see a lot of traffic on the weekends. When you hit Paco swing by RIGS fly shop on Main St in Ridgeway for the latest scoop. If you are camping you can essentially camp right on the Unc at Midway State Park.
Probably stay in the Pa Co Chu Puk campground on the river unless the other two CG's are better.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Edwardo - there are walk-in campgrounds right on the river. If you Google Earth it you can see them on the west side of the river. They even provide wheel barrow carts to haul your gear in. There are two stocked ponds right there if you want trout for dinner. PM me if you need more info...I have a house in Ouray right on the Unc so I fish it quite a bit. I can also point you to some still water if needed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1X tippet? How big are they?

What size fly are you putting on 1X tippet?
Size 12 is the smallest fly I use and that would be the elkhair caddis and callys.

These fish average 20" over weedbeds and not leader shy..

The beetles- ants- damsels- hoppers are size 8-12.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1x for Paco? You trying to pull the planted structure out of the bank? Those giant stumps were put in with a backhoe. Picture of a 4x caught Paco Brown. Not the biggest but average. This is why they have to keep stocking cutts.lol

If your looking for non technical easy water, avoid the tailwaters, plus you'll avoid the crowds. Last year Paco and Taylor both saw record releases, but hey, the water was clear! Lol..South western mountains are looking at above average runoff as snow pack is well above 100% to date. This can obviously change. Not sure about Conejos/Platoro drainage. If going over Owl Creek, hit the inlet creek to Siverjack or even the Cimmaron below. Once again, run off dependent. Your timing here is during high water, so if everything is blown out, get up in elevation or stand in line at the Avalanche hole. Good luck, compress the barb, and make a quick release.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Couple weeks later CFLurker landed a nice one as well. Both in winter, both on streamers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My plans have firmed up a bit. I had planned to be at Cottonwood CG on the San Juan below the dam on May 4-6; then into Utah for several weeks; then to Ridgeway SP June 7-9 and Black Canyon June 10-11. I've since learned that there is to be a big spring release from Navajo Dam in early May which will make wade fishing too dangerous. So I may need to rethink that part of the trip. Where might be a better area to wade fish in northern NM or southern CO during the first week of May? I'd prefer stream fishing but lakeshore might suffice. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
All of May into early June presents the best opportunity for a novice on the Taylor for some incredible fish. It still won't be easy but I'm saying you have a chance. The reward is well worth it. April through early May presents good ice off action at Spinney, but the second week of May through the start of June there is a lull for shore line fishing. First week of June it is really on like stated in an earlier post. Spinney is truly a Colorado gem and you won't be disappointed. Taylor trout are truly magnificent and can not be found anywhere else.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts