Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier than last year but then everything is earlier this year!

To the topic at hand: Colorado Lakefinder 11 has updated (2011) air-plant stocking reports on approximately 280 high mountain lakes. So if winterkill didn't do them in, and it is not likely this year, you can count on finding fish in those beautiful high country lakes.

For those unfamiliar with Colorado Lakefinder, the basic database is 3000+ lakes with physical dimensions, elevation, depth, Colorado Atlas page, and historical stocking information. But the real highlight is the recent air-plant stocking reports from the last 11 years.

You won't find put-and-take rainbow reports here - go to the CPW website or read the fishing report in the newspaper. What you will find is really useful information about our high country lakes that can only be stocked with fingerlings by air and can only be fished after some personal hiking effort.

This year's incarnation of Lakefinder was assembled with help from that master of trout - Shoe. Everybody, twist his arm to make a cell phone version next year!! Thanks Shoe!!! And thanks to CPW for providing the raw data.

http://home.comcast.net/~a1anma1k/

Try it out in your browser and if you like what you see, download a Windows or Macintosh version along with the instructions. No fees, no registration, no rules. Enjoy!

A couple of important points before I go:
1. The download version has the stocking info - not the browser version.
2. Leave the install in the directory it chooses. Lakefinder won't work if moved.
3. Read the instructions - only a page and a half. Most of the bug reports I receive are because the user moved the install.

--
Alan

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Interesting. Search results indicate Mackinaw were stocked at Standley, Carter, Chatfield, Georgetown, Arvada, and even Pueblo Reservoir. I never knew that.

...it's either that or I broke the software (which is also possible).

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
That Guy said:
Interesting. Search results indicate Mackinaw were stocked at Standley, Carter, Chatfield, Georgetown, Arvada, and even Pueblo Reservoir. I never knew that.

...it's either that or I broke the software (which is also possible).
It also says Standley is 80 feet deep. I think I need to invest some time there trying to jig up a Mack at that depth! (I've never fished it).

edited to add - I think zman needs to add catching a mackinaw from Standley Lake to his bucket list.

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
edited to add - I think zman needs to add catching a mackinaw from Standley Lake to his bucket list.
You think poorly Ed!!! :D

1995 14,210 four inch lake trout put in Pueblo...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll fix anything I can but the basic data still comes from CPW. And as I have said, the old stocking data is just a summary that spans from the 50's to the 90's. The only data that is recent is the airplants. That is updated every spring and if the data is to be believed, they count the baby fish down to the very last one.

--
Alan

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
alanmalk said:
I'll fix anything I can but the basic data still comes from CPW. And as I have said, the old stocking data is just a summary that spans from the 50's to the 90's. The only data that is recent is the airplants. That is updated every spring and if the data is to be believed, they count the baby fish down to the very last one.

--
Alan
Alan, it's very generous for you guys to put this together and make it available to everyone like this. Thank you - as mentioned, I've learned a few things about what has been stocked around town...and I'd really like to see Bernie guide zman on Standley Lake to see if he can hook a mack. I think he has better chances at hooking a mack at Standley than he does of catching a catfish at Aurora.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts