Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished for pike here in Colorado. What are some of the bodies of water that I should concentrate on?

Don

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I can only speak for the Eastern Slope, but here in about a month I will turn my attention to Pike fishing.

I fish 11-Mile, Spinney and Williams Fork. The Fork never gives up anything easily!!! But the fish are huge in there! Spinney actually always needs the herd thinned! To many small and medium sized fish, and nothing to sustain them. 11-Mile is a very balanced fishery with lots of meium sized Pike and some real Hogs!!!

I have also caught Pike at Tarryall and Bonny Resevoir.

M

·
0 Posts
TroutFishingBear is a good resource for this...

My experience has been limited to Stagecoach near Steamboat and Williams Fork for my favorites but they are also in Spinney and Elevenmile.

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
      Sanchez does have some big pike in it, but you might consider just catch and release there.The lake is listed in the states health and environment advisory for contaminants. The larger the fish the more contaminants it may contain. For more info on the matter see this web site.
    www.cdphe.state.co.us
(look under Environment A-Z, then go to "F")
    Have fun!!!! ;D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
yampa river for pike of over 50". Very fat fish. 30" average, my biggest LANDED is an appx. 20 pounder. Please practice only catch and release here. Harvey gap some big pike, not many left. Catch and release only here, the perch are causing a trophic cascade and the lake is in danger. Stagecoach has lots of small pike and some big ones. Few medium sized. The biologist, billy atkinson, and I have talked about the pike there and he said a 42" pike in stagecoach is 7 years old, the fastest growth rate ever according to him. Keep a bunch of small ones. Rifle gap has a bunch of mid teens inch pike and a bunch in the low 30" range. Some bigger. Keep a few here if ya want. Rio blanco has lots of small skinny pike. Doesn't hurt to keep some, but of there are some huge ones relocated from the yampa, including a massive 54" last year. Crawford has many good medium sized pike, like 30" and some bigger and smaller ones. Good balance and you can keep a small one or two. Taylor has some decent ones too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i caught and released a 17 inch yesterday at harriman ive caught a few there but they were tiny... i guess i need bigger lures or somthing

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
laker taker said:
Blue Mesa.
Im pretty sure Blue Mesa doesnt have pike in it. Does it?

L

·
0 Posts
Im pretty sure Blue Mesa doesnt have pike in it. Does it?
I was waiting to see if anyone would catch that, thanks for restoring my faith ePIC.

In fact Blue is not supposed to have pike in it, but it does. Very few people know this. I actually caught one there last year and it was a huge deal as even the DOW biologist (can't think of his name right now) was concerned about the discovery. Theory is they came from Taylor Res. I caught it the weekend of the Kiwanis club tourney. If I find the picture of it I will post it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
yampa river for pike of over 50". Very fat fish. 30" average, my biggest LANDED is an appx. 20 pounder. Please practice only catch and release here. Harvey gap some big pike, not many left. Catch and release only here, the perch are causing a trophic cascade and the lake is in danger. Stagecoach has lots of small pike and some big ones. Few medium sized. The biologist, billy atkinson, and I have talked about the pike there and he said a 42" pike in stagecoach is 7 years old, the fastest growth rate ever according to him. Keep a bunch of small ones. Rifle gap has a bunch of mid teens inch pike and a bunch in the low 30" range. Some bigger. Keep a few here if ya want. Rio blanco has lots of small skinny pike. Doesn't hurt to keep some, but of there are some huge ones relocated from the yampa, including a massive 54" last year. Crawford has many good medium sized pike, like 30" and some bigger and smaller ones. Good balance and you can keep a small one or two. Taylor has some decent ones too.
I thought they have been relocating pike out of the Yampa and didn't want them in there?

·
Registered
153 Posts
DOW is more concerned about people keeping pike out of the yampa, they definitely want to thin down the population there. even more so than spinney because there are several endangered species living in the yampa. So, if you like pike take them outa the yampa when you catch them. This is a HUGE deal with the DOW.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
TimberlineArcher said:
DOW is more concerned about people keeping pike out of the yampa, they definitely want to thin down the population there.  even more so than spinney because there are several endangered species living in the yampa.  So, if you like pike take them outa the yampa when you catch them.  This is a HUGE deal with the DOW.
Sorry sir but i have to respectfully disagree. If you like pike practice catch and release with all Pike caught out of the Yampa. The DOW is doing enough damage on their own. I have seen what they did to Spinney first hand and I can tell you that if the DOW works hard enough at it they will practically eraticate almost all pike in the Yampa. Spinney usted to be the best Pike lake in the state. Now you are lucky to get a 5 pounder out of there. Damn Shame IMO. :'( Growth rate for pike in Spinney was faster then anywhere in the WORLD at one time. HEY DOW YOU GUYS ARE CRYING ABOUT MONEY ALL THE TIME, HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU THINK WOULD HAVE COME TO COLORADO FROM OUT OF STATE TO FISH A PIKE LAKE LIKE THAT? My answer: just look at the money CANADA MAKES! ???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts