Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've posted a report, but then again, it's been a while since I've been fishing...

I was invited on a float trip on the Colorado. I had never done a guided trip, never done a float trip, and never fished the Colorado before. Got to check those three things off all at once!

We put in at State Bridge, and floated 8-9 miles. The guide we were with had access to a private take-out, so we were able to stop at Two Bridges for lunch, and float the afternoon as well.

I popped the first fish (a small brown), in the first minute or so of our float. The other guy in my boat didn't have a lot of experience fly fishing, so we pulled into the first large backwater we came across and had a little bit of instruction from the guide.

From then on, I had an absolute BLAST. I had forgotten how much I like fly fishing. The day was full of hookups on 13-17 inch browns that were strong and feisty. I got pictures with 3, and had another 3 or 4 that I didn't. Had multiple fish that came off, part of the game I guess.

Also landed a few shorter fish, including a small rainbow. The other guy in the boat landed a nice 14 or 15 inch rainbow with beautiful colors.

Pictures:

Setup was about what I expected with a hopper up top, followed by a beadhead soft hackle hares ear, and a beadhead zebra midge as the point fly.

Most of the good fish were taken on the zebra midge, although there was some action on the hopper later in the day.

So much fun... I'll be doing this more often!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Thems the same kinda browns Tommy always catches there. The ones' he never takes pics of---

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Good for you man!

Hope you get out more and post them up :thumb:

·
P I K E
10,118 Posts
Great looking trip Scott, THX for sharing and welcome back!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, all... It's nice to have something to post up. :)

Man, I love floating the Rado! Guide's name wasn't Wheels, was it?
Guide's name is Mark Boyd.

Not knowing what to expect from a float trip, I thought we did O.K. I know there have been lots of days with higher numbers and better fish, but the scenery and company was awesome.

Spotted two bald eagles between Two Bridges and our take out, saw several deer on our way in early in the morning.

I'm looking forward to the next time already...

·
Registered
56 Posts
My son and I did that same float last August with Mark. Great guy, taught me a lot about reading the water which has increased my success over the past year. Glad to hear you had a good trip with him.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Thanks, all... It's nice to have something to post up. :)

Guide's name is Mark Boyd.

Not knowing what to expect from a float trip, I thought we did O.K. I know there have been lots of days with higher numbers and better fish, but the scenery and company was awesome.

Spotted two bald eagles between Two Bridges and our take out, saw several deer on our way in early in the morning.

I'm looking forward to the next time already...
Well that's what it's all about, so you're doing it right. There are so many wonderful things about a float that you can't hang on a stringer :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts