Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went cat fishing on the lower Colorado River (Horse Thief Canyon) for a couple of hours today. The water was high and muddy. Fished a big bend in the river. I caught one nice channel cat around 8 lbs. I was using cut bait on a circle hook above a 2oz bank sinker with 12 lb test. Didn?t even know she was on until I see my line moving upstream against the heavy current. Those river Channel Cats are strong! Too bad they are slowly being eradicated out of the Colorado.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm stunned you caught one with water this muddy, and a good one at that! My biggest cat is only 8 pounds, also on cuttbait. Liver produces better numbers, but roundtail chubs pounce on liver more readily than cuttbait, although they still will take cuttbait. Thanks for the report...I am very sick right now and might not make it out for the weekend :(

·
Banned
487 Posts
OURAY said:
I went cat fishing on the lower Colorado River (Horse Thief Canyon) for a couple of hours today. The water was high and muddy. Fished a big bend in the river. I caught one nice channel cat around 8 lbs. I was using cut bait on a circle hook above a 2oz bank sinker with 12 lb test. Didn’t even know she was on until I see my line moving upstream against the heavy current. Those river Channel Cats are strong! Too bad they are slowly being eradicated out of the Colorado.

Don't worry about cats being removed. Only 1236 of them were removed in 2003, and only 100 last year for stable isotope study. The Colorado river is too deep to effectively electrofish the deep holes and strong currents where channel cats thrive. Electrofishing is not very effective in water over 6 feet deep, and most of the Colorado is beyond this depth. It works much better in the yampa.
The fact is Channel Catfish are the least most numerous fish in the river besides the endangered fish. According to CDOW biologist Bill Elmblad, Channel Catfish make up about .2% - 1% of the entire biomass of the river, compaired to 95% being flannelmouth sucker, bluehead sucker, and roundtail chub. The endangered fish are in too low of numbers to even be measured.
Catfish will scarcely be affected in here, even if this continued for years. But the gamefish removals are likely to end soon, mostly because they see it cannot work well enough to be worth spending money on, plus the massive public resistance. They have not done removals last year and do not plan to do any this year. The endangered fish program is actually in it's dying throes.

E

·
0 Posts
Nice catch, man!

Hope you feel good enough to fish by tomorrow Troutfishingbear!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts