Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to hit the colorado river a little below fruita where I know a monster hole is that holds good numbers of cats. Got down there around 7:45. I didn't want to buy liver, so for bait I had some worms I had in the fridge and some preserved, dead shad. Started fishing with both of those out and it was a monstrous hole. Immediately the shad pole started getting a bite. I went over and hooked and reeled in a 11" roundtail chub very easily. Even though they aren't good for the ecosystem, I let them go because it is the law. I put another dead shad on and casted it out and noticed my nightcrawler pole was getting hit. I went over and set the hook and a decroundtail chubs ranging from 10-12" (3 on shad, 5 on nightcrawler), 2 more bullhead one 10" the other 11", both caught on nightcrawler, and 1 skinny 15" white sucker on a nightcrawler. I did have 3 channel hits as well. (can tell because they just run off with it.) The first was on a nightcrawler and I set the hook and the battle was on! Finally something that fought. I fought him for a while and he led me downriver. I got him sort of close to the bank and he twisted my line around himself when he rolled near the surface. Since this rig only had 8 lb. test (my other had 17 lb test), it broke rather easily. I had another hit later on a nightcrawler when I was tending to my shad pole. By the time I got over there the cat was gone. I had one more hit when it was dark at about 10:00 pm that was a catfish hit as well, this time on shad. I was over eager though and when he was running instead of letting him take it a bit more I stupidly set the hook and pulled it out of his mouth. I left shortly after. I probably had at least 50 bites, but mostly chubs. Those things are getting so overpopulated; its getting worse every year. I hope something is done or they will be the only native in there in 40 more years by their own doing.

M

·
0 Posts
Man don't waste them as bait -- I hear they taste like chicken

IceInTheVeins said:
SLAYERFISH said:
Chubs are great laker bait!!
Damn right slayer. Illegal or not, I support the euthanization of chubs. It needs to be done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I fished for cats over by fruita a couple times and always did real good for them with worms, the surprising part is when I caught them, usually in the heat of the day. I think they find those big holes where the water is coolest, and hang out in there. I used to go by this big power generator that creates a whirlpool, and it was always great fishing. I saw some topwater activity but never knew what it was, any guesses?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
definitely chubs. I saw many jumping the other day right in front of me. I have seen catfish feed on the surface a couple of times though actually, but it was probably almost certainly chubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts