Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just barely made it home safely from my weekend trip to Gleenwood Springs. I already miss soaking in those hot springs. "Damn you snow!!! I was going to go night fishing tonight!" Anyways I tried flyfishing for my first time and caught nothing but branches. The CO River is very murky and did not fish it. The local fly shop told me to fish anywhere above Carbondale. This is where I fished for about a hour and a half on the roaring fork. Other fisherman, "the real ones who know what they are doing" seemed to be catching quite a few though. The water was clear there. Anyways I had a blast and would recommend eating at Bayou's in G. Springs.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have a better place to eat in glenwood springs if you like mexican food. There is a little cafe just below walmart, next to a smoker friendly. It is called something like, Latacoria nepal, or something like that. They don't speak much english, enough to take your order though, and they have the best food around.
I figured the Colorado river would be murky, hence why I didn't fish it. Too bad you didn't see the huge rainbows spawning in canyon creek, just above its confluence with the colorado river. that is a site to see. I did see a few big cutthroats, probably canyon creek natives, spawning with the rainbows. Probably why 80% of the bows are cuttbows.
If it was me, I would've fished one of the creeks that dumps into the colorado river. not canyon, grizzly, or no name. They are illegal to fish right now because of spawning bows. There are two others (that have fish). Mitchell and elk creek. Both have all four common species of trout. Mitchell is flies and lures only and you can use whatever you want in elk creek. You just have to know how to get to them in their high elevation places, miles and miles away from the river. I've caught several of all four common species of trout in the same day on these creeks, which is always fun to do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Got Musky, well, at least now you know where to eat well out there. LOL.

Fly fishing was fun for me, but I gave it up when it became clear I would never use anything smaller than #16's. Remember, there was that guy last year who caught the new state record wiper from a boat with a fly rod down @ Pueblo Res? Gives us all hope! :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
By the way. The hot fly for any time of year on the colorado (except for blown out muddy water), according to a flyfisherman I met last week who caught a 5 pound bow and a 2 pound bow when I saw him on it, is a stonefly. Even if they are not in season. I bet this is consistent with the roaring fork river. Even if the colorado is muddy, this fisherman said using a 4" purple, ugly, streamer, and holding it behind a huge rock will get you into a few fish. Just thought you'd like to know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts